VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im currently looking to save a mk1 pickup from the ever so common rusted strut towers. i purchased a Cabby front clip from a junkyard here in PA and im looking to separate it from the fire wall forward. i found a few of the spot welds on each side by the firewall in the inner fender well after i got some of the seam sealer off. Any advice on how to get it apart infront of rain tray and keep both strut towers in one piece

·
Registered
224 Posts
wish I were closer I would come give you a hand. Best I can say is torch or sawzall, cut whatever is in the way out, and then drill out any spot welds you can find. A 4.5 inch grinder with a cupped and twisted wire wheel should help strip that seam sealer pretty quickly. It will make a hell of a mess but will get the job done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
also you spoke of removing it in one piece, if you aren't taking the firewall off then I might suggest tacking a few temporary supports in to hold things in place. This should definitely be done when fitting the new front end. Everything will need to be square and plumb when fit to the front of the car. It would be wise to level the entire chassis/body when doing so, that way you can accurately pull measurements. The location of the strut towers gets into the suspension geometry of the car so it will be important that everything is in the right place and at the right angles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I completely agree with Union Forge. The more supports you place will be well worth the end result. It is easy to remove them and dress the welds. Not so easy to address the engine bay if it becomes misaligned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts