VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car for the last few months as suffered from a loud humming sound coming somwhere from what sounds to be the front wheels. i thought it was my bald tires but i got new shoes and its jst as loud. It sounds like a i have an exhaust thats idling very loud and annoying being i have no exhaust. Its been sugested its a bad or dirty bearing? Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: HELP! Loud Humming?!?! (knight0118)

Sounds like it may be a bearing (as was suggested to you). I had the same problem a few months ago and that's what it was. . .Does it seem to go away at highway speeds? Mine was only noticable when I was city driving, and would only stop, if my car wasn't moving (not present at idle). Ended up being one of my rear bearings. .. Kinda $hitty if you ask me. . Considering I'd only had my car for just over a year. . .Then again, that's not as bad as the 5 coil packs I've had fail. . . .BLAH!!

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HELP! Loud Humming?!?! (02GTI_1.8T)

yes its minimal between 0-30 and its loud after then and goes away around 65 what did u do to fix the problem was it covered warrenty wise? any info will help

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: HELP! Loud Humming?!?! (knight0118)

Yeah, sounds like exactly what I was having. . .. It was covered under warranty, yours should be too .
Just tell them you think you have a bearing about to take a poop, and they should take care of it no prob. . You could also call and ask them if wheel bearings are still covered. If not, they should at least be able to give you and estimate.
Good luck

[Modified by 02GTI_1.8T, 6:10 PM 1-23-2003]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.