VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my 1 previous owner VERY low mileage Golf Cabrio 2001 auto into my regular garage (used for over 8 years) for a light control arm and CV repair. As always, I'll ask my mechanic to check for other bits here and there, and I asked him to check and top up if necessary the, at the time, faultless auto trans, with trans fluid, as it's something I'd never checked in 6 years of ownership.

When I collected the car almost immediately I noticed a slipping and jumping into gear from the auto trans. I knew immediately that something was wrong, and drove almost directly back to the garage. The mechanic said he had topped up the transmission fluid to the recommended level and there was no other issues. Long story short, I have hardly driven the car since, but it is now almost impossible to do a hill start without rolling back and thumping in and out of gear.

The mechanic has helped me a lot in the past with other cars, and gone well out of his way. So I'm not going to kick up a fuss. This time though, I'm convinced he's f**ked up something somehow.

I need a plan of action... I have another mechanic who can work on the car. Do you guys recommend that I just replace the entire valve body? or just start with trying to drain and replace the fluid. (I suspected initially that the fluid was over/under filled, and it was a simple fix. but the original mechanic checked and said the level was as recommended by vw)
I'm not against just replacing the entire valve body right away and forget the whole issue, as long as its resolved. I just want my baby back.
I bought the car with only 18k miles from the original one owner in 2014. it was like new and always garaged. It's now a regularly serviced well cared for 56k. I'm just not believing the trans failed overnight.

What are your thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only assuming the correct fluid was used, I've had no reason in the past to doubt the mechanics abilities. He also builds competition cars for other people etc. But it was the first thing that I thought, wrong fluid, too much too little. It was such an immediate issue, not one that crept in. When I went back I explained the issue, he tried to say that the car was old etc, but I'm not buying it. It was honestly faultless up until the day before.

How do I reset the transmission? and what is the logic behind it?

I've been asking around describing the symptoms but not had any recommendations until now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So it was just a top up not a flush? I know early mk4 automatics were/are known to crap out due to things like the actuator burning out. It almost sounds like slippage which could happen due to fluid flush removing clutch particles that float in the fluid.

Not sure which auto version you have but one is worse than the other.

I have a 2001 VW beetle and I have a "when" not "if" attitude to eventually replacing the transmission

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it was just a top up not a flush? I know early mk4 automatics were/are known to crap out due to things like the actuator burning out. It almost sounds like slippage which could happen due to fluid flush removing clutch particles that float in the fluid.

Not sure which auto version you have but one is worse than the other.

I have a 2001 VW beetle and I have a "when" not "if" attitude to eventually replacing the transmission
It was just a top up initially, but when i returned it the first time I asked him to change the auto transmission fluid filter just in case it was that. I'm starting to suspect that it was initially the wrong fluid or too much, which was then followed up by damage to the ribbon cable when replacing the filter. I Think I'm likely to change the entire valve body and ribbon cable with another mechanic and hope it resolves the issue. There's a valve body online that I can get for 180 euros so I think that's the next move. I'm driving the car short distances on the odd occasion, and hill starts or junctions are embarrassing to say the least. It's most annoying as up until this issue it has been absolutely faultless.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You have a misbehaving 19 year old VW automatic trans and you use the words "mechanic sabotage?" I would guess auto trans failure a top reason those gen cars end up in a junkyard with no obvious damage. VW has since changed their stance that all non DSG auto trans - now the 09G require a fluid change every 50K miles. Also the 09G is not a VW trans. They started using them after the trans you have was discontinued. DSG requires 40K mile changes.

Try turning up the line pressure

Start shopping for a 5 speed conversion or a Toyota.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts