VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (99VR)

It's simple - no directions are required. Once you get under it, you’ll see how straight forward it is. On a side note, you have to cut off the stock exhaust over the rear axle.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yeah, We're doing the instal right now. Is there a specific spot over the rear axle that we neet to cut or just anywher inbetween the suitcase and the muffler ??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (Dub_lover)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yeah, We're doing the instal right now. Is there a specific spot over the rear axle that we neet to cut or just anywher inbetween the suitcase and the muffler ??
Thanks[HR][/HR]​
Anywhere between the suitcase and the muffler.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (greengtivr6)

Install went OK, fit isn't as good as i hoped. I drove around for approx. 10 min and it was sweeeeet. Later though, i was driving for ~30min and it started getting super loud and droned badly around 2K
. It started rattling as well. I brought her back home, jacked it up again and re-tightened all the bolts. Then i went for a cruise and at first it was perfect, but then it started to get loud and drony again
. Now i'm pissed off and i'm going to bed. Any suggestions, i'm gonna look at it tomorrow. Ben, did you have any probs on your car?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

I had a 2.25" MagnaFlow for a brief period of time – the shaking and vibration became maddening.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (Knockwurst)

quote:[HR][/HR]I had a 2.25" MagnaFlow for a brief period of time – the shaking and vibration became maddening.[HR][/HR]​
Ditto!
Don't throw out your stock muffler yet! For anyone interested, you can get the new muffler that comes on the GLi from http://www.vwparts.com for $67! Search on part number 1J5253609AS.

[Modified by JettaRed, 7:43 AM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (JettaRed)

The rattling is 1 of 2 things!
1) the middle hot dog muffler hitting your rear drop guard!
2) Your car is too low and the "over the axle pipe" is rubbing against your rear axle!
As for the drone, all VR exh generate a droning sound! Of all the exh that I have had the magnaflow was the quietest!
One way to remove the rubbing would be to reposition the exh approx 1-2" more forward! I had to repostion the thing like 4 times before it stopped!
Then again I don't work for a muffler shop so its harder for me to install these exh properly!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (greengtivr6)

The thing is the exhaust sounds absolutely awesome for the first few minutes after install/retightening, but then after 5-10min of driving,it starts to develop this horrid drone.The ratteling isn't there anymore, but the drone is hardcore. I'm gonna make my third attempt today to get this [email protected]$ker right.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The thing is the exhaust sounds absolutely awesome for the first few minutes after install/retightening, but then after 5-10min of driving,it starts to develop this horrid drone.The ratteling isn't there anymore, but the drone is hardcore. I'm gonna make my third attempt today to get this [email protected]$ker right.
[HR][/HR]​
Are you talking about where it joins the cat? If so, just take it to a muffler shop and have them wield that joint. I took mine to a shop and had them wield it and they had to adjust the position a little (they also replaced the hanger to get it up off the bottom cross bar) and I now just love it. No rattling or droning. Very good sound. Give it a chance, just work on it a little more.
Scott
95 GTI VR6

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (vr6willeatyou)

I had the MagnaFlow for about 10 days. Went back to stock. The droning drove me nuts. Some say that Dynamat does the trick but I doubt it would have done it for me. Unfortunately I drive mostly in the city at low RPM where the droning was the worst. I also thought that the droning and overall tone of the exhaust sounded "cheap". Was really glad to restore the stock quiet and classy sounding system.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Help! Magnaflow install! (4thScirocco)

The drone increases as the car heats up. After startup, everything sounds great for the first 5min of driving, then it starts to get louder and louder. The system does feel much more free-flowing than stock, and it is great when i'm driving for fun, but when i'm farting around the city, keeping it around 2k, it is annoying. Tailpipes sit losided as well
. Anymore suggestions before i think about reinstalling the stock exh. Anyone running a system w/ 2 resonators? How does that sound.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

I wondered the same. I took mine to a local exhaust shop and they told me they couldn't add one. So I'd have to buy a whole new system

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Just loosen the flange, have someone hold the tips where they should be and re-tighten the flange. That will straighten the tips. As far as the noise goes... it is a stainless steel exhaust. It is only going to get louder the hotter, and older it gets. I happen to love the sound of the magnaflow. It just kinda grows on you. Why are you cruising around at 2k anyways?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts