VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the monsoon system that the car came with, and adding a new HU made it even better, but I'm looking for more lows... boomy bass bump.
OK, here is what I've got to work with:
monsoon amp/speakers
pioneer DEH-P6300 HU
orion T300 amp (old but almost never used)
2 10"s in bandpass box
I was thinking of ditching the speakers/box altogether and adding one good sub. The HU has a sub powered channel (75wt max,@ 2ohms) with , and the amp can put out 300X1 @ 4 ohms or 150wt X 2 @ 2ohms. Should I use both the HU and the amp to power one speaker, just the amp to power a sub, or what? From what I've read it's ok to go up in resistance... is this right? (the 2 ohms from HU to the 4 ohms amp) I would only be able to use 4ohm subs if I used the amp bridged right? Could someone suggest any other ways to set up my system I should consider? Also please advise on good speakers/box type.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Help me add a sub! (john-420)

first, never EVER power a sub from a HU channel. you will fry the IC amp in your headunit with a quickness. I would get one good 12" (Infinity Perfect in a sealed box would sound nice) and run the amp into it at 2ohms. That will give you 300w RMS into the sub for nice solid lows.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Help me add a sub! (Black_MkIV)

ok... but the amp only puts out 300 when bridged (@ 4 ohms)
I've since learned that duel coils can be wired in series to get 4 ohms. Are these speakers duel voice coiled? Also what are the effects running the sub @ 4ohms as opposed to 2 ohms? I assume at 2 ohms it will sound better, but how much better... how much louder, deeper... Is it even worth it to try and salvage this amp? I wouldn't want to buy a speaker for use with it, and later decide I need a better amp/sub because the monsoon+HU overpowers it.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
Re: Help me add a sub! (Black_MkIV)

I would personally get a JL 10W3-D2, or a 12W3-D2. Those are the Dual 2 Ohms versions. They are rated at 250 Watts, but running your 300 Watt amp to them will be just fine. Don't run the head uint power to it. I would sell the Bandpass box and subs and use that money to get a good sub.
Also just to let you know, you never want to combine seperate isolated outputs together. Especially if they are different power levels. Example, Deck power 75 Watts + amplifier 300 watts +Equals blown deck, blown amp, or both.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Help me add a sub! (Non_Affiliated)

the jl's were suggested to me on another board too... I'm looking into them. Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif BTW what's a good price on them?
I would most likely have to pay to get someone to take these speakers. They're blaupanks(sp?) and sound like poo. I may be able to sell the box though.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts

Sell the box and subs $100. Hell you could scrap the box and make your own and then they wouldn't sound like poo. W3's really aren't that spendy. But I would actually suggest getting a 12W3-D2, seeing that the twelves are more efficent. I wouldn't pay over $180 for a 12W3-D2.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Help me add a sub! (Non_Affiliated)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That's what I'm running in my Stealthbox (12W3-D4) off a PG Tantrum 300.2 bridged. Good stuff

-VA

[Modified by A3VR6, 10:49 PM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Help me add a sub! (A3VR6)

I went to car toys today and saw D3's & D4's, but not the D2's

They were all priced around 2 bills. Do you think the D3's replaced the D2's or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Help me add a sub! (A3VR6)

what's the difference b/t the D2,3,&4... they weren't priced that much differently.

·
Registered
432 Posts

John, you might want to look into a brand named Image Dynamics. I believe the one you want to look for is IDQV.2 or something like that. If you get it get the one with the colored logo since I is 4ohms. Image Dynamics I believe is the only subwoofer that is compared with JLs. Infinity are so so but are not that good. BTW Image Dynamics are cheaper and from what I heard from JL owners are better. Well that's my two cents.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Help me add a sub! (CorradoForMePLEASE)

Thanks for the additional input. I'll look into those also.... I've now got a while before I am able to purchase since I just upgraded my cars sound system... techtonics tuning exhaust is on the way!!! After that's installed I'll most likely NEED some subs to hear my music over the motor, but oh well....
Anyone else who has something to add don't be shy.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Hey me and my friends just hooked up some Alpine Type S 12's in a Honda CRX and they are great for the price he paid for it. I believe he paid about $400 for the two subs, sealed box, and an amp. The bass is loud and not hella sloppy but it is sort of. Also Rockford Fosgate HX2 are pretty good too. I have three 10's also.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts

If the Car Toys down there is the same Car Toys up here in Northwest Washington. I wouldn't even bother they wanted $250 for 10W6. I went to another local shop and after tax $211 out the door.
I did look at the Dimond Audio Subs and I must say I was rather impressed with their design and build. There low end 12 starts at 2 bills I think.
Also another is the Digital Designs they start at the 2000 series which is the low end but still a solid sub. heres a link: http://www.ddaudio.com/index.asp Just chose the Car Audio and a drop down menuw ill apear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts