VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the story goes I was comming home from school on january 1(yes new years) when I decided to race another b5. Litttle side note i was supposed to go to the hamptons on long island tht night for a big new years party.
Anyway I raced this audi but I brake boosted off the line and right when I did that my rpms went through the roof! Like this thing was movin 20 mph reading like 7grand. I started freaking out, later brought it to a shop to have it diagnosed as a transmission failure.
So i spend all the mny I had to gethtis thing running again, it ran pretty smooth nothin like original but it drove nice.Now a week later I was driving home from pa where I go to school, and my car starts freaking out. RPMs are shooting up and down and im in the worst place NY traffic. So i get my car towed from staten island to long island then have it diagnosed as 3 sensors failing ( at the same time!!!!!!!). Why in the world to i have ****ty luck hah!

So i get it back and its drivin great, im cruiusin back and fourth from pa every weekend. Well i was in long island one weekend rippin the back roads in locust valley ( anyone from longisland can tell you those roads are fun!!!!) when all of a sudden the fateful RPM scream come s again and then my car died. WTF is goin through my head< i wanna cut the top off this piece and make it into a lawn ornament! I pull the bitch over crank it and it sounds ****in bad, instantly thought timing belt. I was right but i didnt realize the valves drop when the timing belt slips,16 valves bent!

So i decided to do the repairs this time, i bought a aeb head from a kid that goes to my school. I bought the ecs timing belt kit the one the cost like 230.0. I had the gassket set, the coolant, 0w-40 euro mobile one,and i had all the tools needed. So i began the job stripped all four harmonic balancer bolts, had to wait a week to tap the ****er with the reversible thread ratchet attachement. Replace water pump with metal impeller,did gasets,and thermostat. Everything was goin fine until my tps went (a whole new throttle body) and my cmp went which wasnt too expensive. So I got her running and realized the head gasket slipped out had to re do the head.

The reason why i wrote this ridiculous life story is because, i need to get rid of this car but i wnt it in perfect working condition before i sell it. Shes a 1998 b5 a4 ko4 tune,v-maxx coilovers( less then 150 miles on them), infinite kappa speakers alll around, jl-w6 12 in sub, asa ar2 wheels. The best part is she only has 78,xxx miles on it, with a brand new trans, brakes, just did timing belt, head gasket, head bolts, bunch of sensors replaced, water pump,etc.

Im askin if someone could help me diag my car/and or help fix my car. The car wont start now i am almost positive it is mis timed, but now i wonder if vlaves are bent. I am a tech but i am just getting out of school, i am not completely positive on what it might be. So any hellp from the vortex family would be much obliged!!! thank you enjoy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: help me complete my beautiful audi, that has been sitting for almost 1 1/2 yrs. (Creamaudi)

Well if it won't start check fuel, spark plugs, coil packs make sure there all firing. Um im assuming you manually turned it over? If you didn't thats where i would start, manually turn it over pretty slowly just like you did to line it up to TDC and if you feel any resistance or hear anything slap...timing is off obviously then if you have been cranking it, means your prob slapped some valves and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Re: help me complete my beautiful audi, that has been sitting for almost 1 1/2 yrs. (Creamaudi)

Quote, originally posted by Creamaudi »
I was right but i didnt realize the valves drop when the timing belt slips,16 valves bent!

the valves don't "drop" when the tbelt goes... they just stop where ever they were because the cam stops spinning.
I'd agree with the first reply. you should DEFINITELY manually crank the thing over and make sure nothing is hitting. what you really should do is pull the plugs out, since compression will make it harder to spin and harder to tell if anything is interfering

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
FV-QR

And if you pull the plugs out you can look into the cylinder and look for dents. If you see dents or shiney half circle marks on your pistons you pretty much have bent valves.
There are marks on the cam gear vs valve cover, harmonic pulley vs lower timing belt cover, and flywheel vs housing. Make sure all the marks line up...if they do it is timed properly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnk you everyone tht replied, I went and manually turned her over and the resistance in the wrench felt normal for an engine. I timed the vlave cover to cam gear, I looked at the balancer and the dash was at 12' o'clock. So I mean the car seems to be timed right im now leaning to a sensor fail and if so im thinkin cam sensor for some reason. If anyone has ever had a problem similar please feel free to drop some knowledge im eagar to learn whats happening. thank you agian.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
you have your work cut out for you, but you need to verify the timing marks are correct, on both of the camshafts and the crankshaft. after you have confirmed these as ok, you are gonna need to complete a compression test. This will definately tell you if you have bent valves or not, you can then complete a cylinder leak down test to verify which valves, in which cylinders are bent.

If the mechanical side of things check out, you are going to have to find what else in the system is not working. Do you have fuel pressure, spark, compression or air? Does the car start and die? A massive vacuum leak, misrouted or missing hoses, unplugged, cut, or connectors in the incorrect locations, bad fuel or a weak battery can then come into play. A vag com scan can send you in the right direction.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so went over everything last night and everything was coming up smooth until i look underneath my intake manifold...... what do i see but a huge section of piping gone. Now I don't really know what this pipe good be so i looked up on alldata for an engine explode and found out the it runs from a vacuum reservoir but I'm still not sure what it is

thts the piece its weird im kind of confused. My next question is can anyone tell me what part this is and how to go about ordering it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.