VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello this is my first time posting, i just sold my 5.0 mustang (88gt) and now need to purchase a car this is where i need some advice;
I can spend 10-11 grand cash (because where i live i cant afford to have full coverage insurance, and if i own a vehicle i can insure it at a lower premium)
that being said i'm looking into a 97 ish 1.8t with 5 speed and quattro
i think i can find one with about 60-70k miles BUT i dont want to be stuck repairing it all the time as things do fail with higher mileage used cars so If i get it i'm planning to buy a warranty for it (i've read on the audiforums that there are many available from different companys). This warranty will be about 1200-1500 dollars and should cover me for about three years. The only thing i would probably do to the car is do the chip. This being said do u think this is a good idea to purchase a used audi. My other option would be getting a 1 year old focus zx3. The way i look at it is in 3 years either one of these cars would be worth the same so why not drive the much better car. Is there anything wrong in my reasoning as far as value of these two cars after 3 years? Here is my main question, should i be worried about this aftermarket warranty, i talked to a guy at work and he told me this is all a bad idea, not to get an expensive luxury car with that mileage, he told me the warranty people will screw me and get out of repairs. Basically i wanna drive a car and if it breaks for a small deductible (usually 50 bucks or so) i want any mechanical problem to be taken care of. I'm looking for advice on this so if you can speak your mind please do. I want to make a smart decision. Thank it advance.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Re: help me decide on a used a4 (KevinsA4)

take a look into my car before you make a decision.
I'm asking $17500, but you wont find a cleaner, more well cared for Audi, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: help me decide on a used a4 (audiness)

sorry only have 11k to spend. Thanks for the offer however.

·
Registered
454 Posts

I used to own an 89 5.0LX and sold it about half a year after I bought the 2000 A4 that I'm driving now.
I must say after I got the Audi, my Stang though still loved felt like a POS. The brakes on that car were terrible as was the steering, of course this is relative to the A4. I actually spun my Stang in the rain one time, it was not pretty and the rear end sure liked to dance in the rain we get so frequently here in Vancouver. The A4 is so much better in every way.
My car is chipped and I took my buddy (he owns a 73 Big block Vette - 454) for a ride one night when it was just above freezing. With the cool air the car felt faster than it normally did and my buddy could not believe the acceleration on my Audi. He said he thought it was quicker, but not faster than both my Stang and his Vette. I don't think that was true, it was more a reflection of his surprise at how quick the car was with the chip.
My advice though would be to save up some more bucks. You don't want to just barely afford the car and then possibly get hit with a nasty repair. I would not spend money on a warranty and then chip the car. Chipping might void the warranty and yes I've heard aftermarket companies will try very hard to get out of paying warranty claims.
As a former 5.0 owner, I heartily recommend getting an A4 one day, but do it when you can afford it. If you buy one now and get hit with repairs you can't afford it will ruin the ownership experience and taint you from buying an Audi in the future.
I loved my Mustang, but I love the Audi much more. The Mustang was like a wild sl** that's fun to be with when you're young. As you mature you'll realize the Audi is a car that you will be happy to spend a lifetime with

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

I hate to say this, but with $11k to spend you should look into
a cheaper car. Most A4s with 60k are going to be around $14-$18k,
though I've seen a few dip into the 13s. But take into account that the
timing belt (which MUST be changed at around this piont or you are
asking for it) will run you a quick $1100 to $1500 right off the bat.
New brakes? New tires? It adds up quick. You should have $2k set aside
for major repairs, because eventually you WILL need them. Or you can
buy a warranty, but they often don't capture certain things you need
(i.e., timing belt).
There is some reason in picking up a used car with some miles to get
a good car at a low price. But there is a limit. While these cars will
last a long time, 70,000 miles is A LOT of miles, and these things aren't
lawn mowers--they need to be tuned and fixed. If you need to search
in the 60-70 thousand mile+ zone to be able to afford the car, then
realistically this may not be the car for you. Sometimes you have to
be able to fork over more to get the car you want early enough in its
lifespan that you can really afford to have it.
My personal advice is that you check out something like a Miata (if you
don't need a big car). These cars are a blast to drive, and you can
find them for $10k with low miles. They run a long time, and are cheap
to fix.

·
Registered
2017 Golf Alltrack is38
1,111 Posts
Re: help me decide on a used a4 (vertigo)

$11,000 is not enough for an A4 1.8t quattro with 60-70k miles. My 1997 A4 1.8T quattro has 108,500 miles on it (37k on new engine) and it books for $14k and I'm looking for interested buyers in the $12,500 range. I'm not sure if I want to sell it or not, but I'm always looking for a new ride.
Anyway, if I were you I'd deffinently go for an Audi, but it sounds as if you should save up a little more first.
P.S. I've owned my car for 22 months and I haven't had a serious (expensive) problem yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: help me decide on a used a4 (BahnFIRE)

Yeh i see they're running like about 13 for what i want, found one for around that price with a year left on the audi warranty, which would cover timing belt etc etc.. now if i get one without the warranty and get an aftermarket one what things do i need to ask them if they cover, one thing is Timing Belt what else...what are the things that tend to go at this time that some companys may not cover. Thanx guys

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

There is some kind of problem with some sort of 'joint'--check
audiworld. I can't remmember the exact part but they tend to break.
Maybe it was the steering knuckles? At any rate, its another common
failure.
I'm not sure IF the timing belt is covered under warranty for replacement.
I think it might be considered wear and tear (like break pads) even though
it more or less needs to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.