VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys! I have narrowed my choices down to Adrenaline Motorsports Stage 2 clutch or the ECS Tuning Stage 2 Clutch. I am from Canada and will be visiting the USA in a couple of weeks and I plan to replace my clutch/flywheel while I'm there. At first, I was committed to getting the Adrenaline clutch kit but the fact that their flywheel is 6 lbs frightens me. ECS Tuning now has their Stage 2 Clutch on sale at the same time that uses a SACH Sport Clutch and a 12 lb flywheel. Both sound great but which one should I go with? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (Golf4_18T)

I replaced my stock clutch to the ECS Stage 2 clutch after about 5k miles with my APR Stage 3 kit installed. The stock clutch was in pretty good shape when it came out, but just didn't have the holding power. The ECS setup has worked great for me. Clutch engagment is nearly as smooth as stock. Pedal pressure is only slightly greater than stock. My wife drives the car with no problem. ECS uses a VW motorsport flywheel. It definitly feels lighter. Shifting is faster as the motor drops revs quicker between shifts. I was a little hesitant to upgrade to such an agressive clutch in my daily driver, but it has worked very well.
I think ECS has dropped the price on the stage2 setup now , but I try not to think about how prices on things that I've paid more for are dropping

[Modified by Terbonium, 8:58 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (Terbonium)

1st thing you need to think about is how much Hp you are planing on running, I just got a Adrenalin stage 1 this week. The stage 1 holds 70% more then stock. I have a APR chip and getting Adrenalin NOS kit soon. As far as I know the stage 2 is the same as the stage 1 with a 6 lb flywheel(stage 1 has a 14 lb flywheel). Do some homwork and get the best to your ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (Tonysjet)

I haven't decided whether to go K04 or Stage 3 but if I go Stage 3 I don't want to have to buy another clutch so I want to get it done right the first time. A lot of people are telling me that if your flywheel is too light it has a higher chance to crack or warp. Another thing about it being too light is that it may be difficult to drive because it is harder to match revs. This is what someone told me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (Golf4_18T)

I don't think my flywheel is too light. The only way I notice the lightness is when shifting. Shifting between gears needs to be a little quicker, or you'll have to blip the throttle to RPM match because the motor does drop in RPM quicker. However the car still idles very well, and 1st gear starts are not much different from stock. Not to say that my wife is a bad driver, but she doesn't drive the car much, and she does very well with it when she does. I would be aware of very light flywheels. They may be too much work to drive daily. The VW motorsport products tend to be a good compromise of performance, durability and driveability. The ECS product is a good solution. I think the stage 2 might be a little much if you don't have plans on going to higher HP levels, but the cost wasn't much more than the stage 1, I had the extra money, and I didn't want to end up spending money on labor for another clutch install 2 years down the road.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (Terbonium)

Golf4,
If you plan to upgrade to a K04 or Stage III, Adrenalin's Stage 2 clutch should be more than enough. Their race clutch will be way too harsh for daily driving due to
the sudden grab.
Turbonium is right with the lighten flywheel. The revs will fall much quicker as well get up much quicker
but you get used to it.

AMS test mule Golf with APR chip and 50hp wet puts over 260 lb/ft at wheels. No clutch slippage at all. That's after many dyno runs, personal abuse and abuse by potential nitrous customers (yeah you know you are - jay, stu, tony, etc )

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Help Me Decide Which Clutch To Get!! (fastslc)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are killing me. Right when I thought I had figured out what I wanted I am having doubts. At first I was going Adrenaline then I switched to ECS and now I'm thinking Adrenaline again. The price for both are the same right? I know a month ago Adrenaline was cheaper but now ECS Tuning has them on sale. WAAAHHHH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.