VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 GLX with 80,500 miles on it. When it sits for a few days without being driven, it starts up very roughly like it isn't running on all cylinders. It smooths out after running for a few minutes. The CEL came on about 2 months ago so I had it scanned today. And the result are below:
1. P0 440 - Evap emissions control system malfunction - I was told it might be the gas cap so I bought a new one and installed it already.
2. P0 300 - Multiple cylinder misfire
3. P0 301 - Cylinder #1 misfire
4. P0 303 - Cylinder #3 misfire
5. P0 300 - Multiple cylinder misfire
6. P0 301 - Cylinder #1 misfire
7. P0 303 - Cylinder #3 misfire
This seems to confirm that I am not running on all cylinders at all times. I have done the mister test on my coil pack but did not notice any change or arching during the test. My wires are only 1.5 years old Neuspeed and the plugs are only a little over a year old and they are NGK platinum - only 16,000 miles ago.
I intend to change my fuel filter this weekend but I was hoping you guys could help diagnose these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
- I would post a pic but they are all hosted on Imagestation...

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: Help me determine the problems due to my CEL... (jeglseder)

Are these codes current? Did you just pull these? And did you clear the system after scanning?
The EVAP system could be the gas cap or even the EVAP purge solenoid.
As for the misfire, if you know that your plugs are clean and wires are intact, it's got to be the coil.
- Erik

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Coil Pack might be your answer. Go take a lookie.
If so theres a $3 dollar JB Weld Epoxy Fix.

·
Registered
977 Posts

jeglseder - I am not sure what your problem is but checking the coil pac and spark plug wires would be a good place to start. At night in the dark pour some water on the coil pac and rev. the motor from an idle an see if you see any sparks around the coil pac area. Also, in the dark, check and see if you see any sparks around the spark plug end of the spark plug wires. If you see sparks in either case you need to replace the parts that the sparks were coming from or if it is the coil pac arching then try the coil pac epoxy fix. At 80,000+ miles it is most likely the spark plug wires and OEM wires are just fine for the replacement spark plug wires
- Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts