VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
Thanks for the good juju.

I managed to snag an armrest assembly with everything for $70 shipped. I got it and the outside looked great. one small blemish but it's much less noticeable than the actual disintegrating material on the original.
View attachment 202959

Nothing is without it's problems. I opened it up and...yeesh. An illustration of my aforementioned conundrum. PIECES of newer parts might be in better shape than my car, but other pieces of the same exact part may not be. The inside of my armrest vs. the one I bought:

View attachment 202960

shakes spraypaint can

View attachment 202962

View attachment 202961

The new (old) one next to the old (new) one:

View attachment 202963

Annnd boop:
View attachment 202964

I'm currently waiting in a starbucks for my third A/C recharge this year. Pray for me. Pray for mojo. Pray for Project Melissa.

Love it.

This a/c recharge is at least post what you think was the culprit for the leak right? If so, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Love it.

This a/c recharge is at least post what you think was the culprit for the leak right? If so, fingers crossed.
I'm officially giving up on this.

Without being too dramatic, this is the first time I've been really discouraged with this car. I can't keep pouring money, blood, sweat and tears into something that will work for a day and then break again the next time I start the car.

It makes more sense to lease a newer car with working air conditioning. I don't have enough life in me to keep chasing.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
On the car or on the AC? Sorry it's being a pain. :(
The A/C. The car is running ok, but I've really been trying to keep all of its systems functional. After having put this much time, effort and money into this problem only to literally be back to where I started is just too much for me right now.

Once this wedding is over and (hopefully) I can find some work I can regroup. Until then...whatever.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
I'm officially giving up on this.

Without being too dramatic, this is the first time I've been really discouraged with this car. I can't keep pouring money, blood, sweat and tears into something that will work for a day and then break again the next time I start the car.

It makes more sense to lease a newer car with working air conditioning. I don't have enough life in me to keep chasing.
When you have the means, have a mechanic get the AC right and move on to another system/area that you'd like to work on - Or just take a break from it for a little while.

And for what it's worth, if this is something you're going to need to rely on every day - Perhaps a simple appliance would be a nice thing to have around. Doesn't even need to be new, any Accord, Civic, Camry, Corolla, or CUV from 2000 or newer would serve this purpose wonderfully, with ice cold AC every day.

The E46 is paid for, so outside of a spot to park it in, and insurance, it's pretty much free to keep around - Only costing you money when you decide you want to spend money on it. So if you're not loving it right this second, take a step back and take a break for a little while. Focus your energy on something else, buy a cheap commuter car you can rely on so you can alleviate some of the stress following you around with a car you can't count on.

Overall they're not unreliable cars, but they have to be kept up with. It can certainly be frustrating, I certainly feel you on the AC side of things after having to rebuilt my entire AC system twice last year.

Don't give up. 👍

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Yeah, my dumb ass has been the missing link between a mechanic that doesn't service A/C systems, and an A/C repair shop that doesn't do mechanical work.

In the context of everything else happening right now I really needed a win, but maybe it'll happen next year.

It's been a long time since I've anticipated winter.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Yeah, my dumb ass has been the missing link between a mechanic that doesn't service A/C systems, and an A/C repair shop that doesn't do mechanical work.

In the context of everything else happening right now I really needed a win, but maybe it'll happen next year.

It's been a long time since I've anticipated winter.
Winter in Baltimore should be a treat.

Lots of 60-80 degree days, lots of 35 degrees and raining, and then a random dumping of 8-12" of snow that will be gone in 2-3 days.

Have you watched The Wire yet?

·
Premium Member
997.1 | ND2 Miata
6,233 Posts
A/C issues are a huge pain. Not sure what areas have recently been addressed but had it not been for my friend's leak detector, I wouldn't have discovered the leak coming from the Schrader valves and caps on the Jag.

If you're chasing a leak but haven't looked into those, it's a cheap fix.

Taking a step back is good too though. At least you have plenty of solid progress to reflect on. 👍👍

281 - 288 of 288 Posts