VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
You seem to know what you’re doing. Why bother with a shop at all?
I wasn't confident in my abilities to hook the hardwire kit up. I have nightmares of touching the wrong wire to something and completely bricking my car.

Wow that initial install is really terrible.
Yeah. I was about 19 years old and installed an amp and subwoofer kit into my friend's Civic hatchback and it was a MUCH cleaner install than this.

Why are you working in the parking lot of the train station?
I don't have anywhere else to work. It's quite fun having to put everything back into the car, lock it, walk back home, upstairs, grab tools, then walk back to the car and unlock it, remove everything again and then continue working.

TDE is homerdash.

homerdash is TDE.
I don't think I'd ever willingly buy a Passat.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I do indeed remember you, those were fun times back then. Your white MR2 was always in the A&P parking lot. I'm Tom (the red MR2 was my car), but my brother is Tim and he often drove it.
Tom! Haha, my mistake. And yes I was always in that parking lot. Never racing.

I shouldn't really talk, actually. Once upon a time I did buy a Tiguan. But it was a total chick magnet. 9 times out of 10 if you see another Tiguan, it's a girl driving it.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
UPDATE:

Scraping my tongue of the taste left in my mouth by this bad experience and moving on - I found a promising shop about 30 mins East of me. I took the car to Primecare Auto in Dundalk. Siwan is the owner and met with me and went on a test drive. He asked "on clear day without any cops or traffic, what's about the fastest you'll go comfortably?" and I responded 105-110.

He proceeded to go 120 (we were on 95 and it was empty) and bring it back down to legal speed quickly just to test everything. He gave me a medium length list of mostly minor things and thank goodness was impressed with the condition of the car. Good news headline is the last guy told me I needed a new oil pan and this guy told me no, I just need the gasket.

As I suspected, there's just so many bushings that need to be replaced. The list is basically:

Rear trailing arm bushings
Diff bushings
All 4 shocks and associated bushings and hardware. They're not blown, but they're oldish and it'll transform the feel of the car for sure (I'm looking into coilovers and to just do one and done) bump stops out back need to be replaced too.
Guibo
Brake lines (I'll grab an upgraded set from ECS)
Fuel filter and lines
Swaybar end links all around
Pinion and half-shaft seals
New jack pad
Brake calipers need to be removed and cleaned up

I also have:

A pinhole exhaust leak near the muffler, and badly corroded front exhaust studs and nuts. The studs are somewhat of a priority as the exhaust needs to be dropped for a good amount of the work I want done. I have a small collapsed vacuum line near the starter that seemed impossible to find but he spotted it. I misdiagnosed this as an electrical problem because the car would randomly just shut off in traffic. I'm really relieved this is just a line that can be R&R'd.

All in all, I'm pretty relieved that he gave the car a pretty good list but none of it is major or urgent. Time to save up, because a lot of the stuff that needs to be replaced will be upgraded.

Some of the cars around the shop:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
That list of bushings should just come with every used E46. Glad you found someone that’s gonna take care of you, and not BS you around. That’s gotta be a great feeling man.
Yep. So much of the rubber and plastic on this thing is gone or going. I'm glad I didn't drive it much (really at all) in any winter, and I did have it covered for a while. So not everything is toasted, but much of it is just old as ****.

did you talk to original shop about the install and what did they say?
I did. He's open to a partial refund which is cool, but I'm totally burnt and turned off. I won't be taking the car back to him. ever.

In other news:

I. LOVE. PICK & PULLS.

I woke up to an email alert from LKQ saying they had a 2000 328i in stock, ready 12/11. I check the photos and sure enough it's a manual. Score!

I show up at like 10 am still half asleep with coffee in hand and get to work. It was gross, and I earned my discount, but I got:

Pedal assembly including lines, clutch switches and wires.
Shifter linkage and associated hardware
Manual driveshaft

for $85.

Idk if they know the mileage of the cars they stock, so I'll call back tomorrow to ask. If this thing had around/less miles than my car currently has, I think I may try to go back next weekend for the whole trans.

It'll add a real interesting step to teaching my fiance to be more comfortable behind the wheel, but it's been like 12 years since I've driven stick.

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Yep. So much of the rubber and plastic on this thing is gone or going. I'm glad I didn't drive it much (really at all) in any winter, and I did have it covered for a while. So not everything is toasted, but much of it is just old as ****.

I did. He's open to a partial refund which is cool, but I'm totally burnt and turned off. I won't be taking the car back to him. ever.

In other news:

I. LOVE. PICK & PULLS.

I woke up to an email alert from LKQ saying they had a 2000 328i in stock, ready 12/11. I check the photos and sure enough it's a manual. Score!

I show up at like 10 am still half asleep with coffee in hand and get to work. It was gross, and I earned my discount, but I got:

Pedal assembly including lines, clutch switches and wires.
Shifter linkage and associated hardware
Manual driveshaft

for $85.

Idk if they know the mileage of the cars they stock, so I'll call back tomorrow to ask. If this thing had around/less miles than my car currently has, I think I may try to go back next weekend for the whole trans.

It'll add a real interesting step to teaching my fiance to be more comfortable behind the wheel, but it's been like 12 years since I've driven stick.
Hell yeah man.

The manuals in these are pretty decent transmissions. As long as it's a good deal I wouldn't worry about mileage too much, just get you a new clutch and flywheel when you have it installed.

Which, for the record, clutch kits and flywheels for these are pretty damn affordable, around $300 from FCP which comes with a lifetime warranty. 👍

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
9,900 Posts
Sweet. If you buy the transmission it might be an idea to grab the transmission mount and reverse sensor/wiring (assuming it plugs into the gearbox). And personally I'd skip the flywheel and clutch and just get new ones; the junkyard savings is big, but it's a huge gamble as you don't find out if it works well until it's all assembled, and there's a good chance it won't.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hell yeah man.

The manuals in these are pretty decent transmissions. As long as it's a good deal I wouldn't worry about mileage too much, just get you a new clutch and flywheel when you have it installed.

Which, for the record, clutch kits and flywheels for these are pretty damn affordable, around $300 from FCP which comes with a lifetime warranty. 👍
Yep - I'd be doing a bunch of stuff if I did the swap. Fifth gear detent, shifter bushings, updated clutch switch so it's just the one instead of 2.

Sweet. If you buy the transmission it might be an idea to grab the transmission mount and reverse sensor/wiring (assuming it plugs into the gearbox). And personally I'd skip the flywheel and clutch and just get new ones; the junkyard savings is big, but it's a huge gamble as you don't find out if it works well until it's all assembled, and there's a good chance it won't.
Yeah I'd be grabbing as much of the system as possible for sure and dumping the clutch/flywheel for something nice and fresh.

I'll find out the mileage (hopefully) tomorrow!

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
2,104 Posts
The OEM clutch is a dual mass which isn't the best for performance applications, although it is quite luxurious. I plan on swapping for a single mass when it finally goes, which will allow me to be a little more reckless with doing launches and the like, and will be significantly lighter, although to be fair the stock set up has held up through a lot of abuse.

Regardless of your clutch setup, remove the clutch delay valve from your clutch line. It's the big fat cylinder on the line, there's a bottleneck that causes the clutch to slip on engagement, which again while luxurious, not good for performance driving. DIY

101 - 120 of 288 Posts