VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
9,214 Posts
The OEM clutch is a dual mass which isn't the best for performance applications, although it is quite luxurious. I plan on swapping for a single mass when it finally goes, which will allow me to be a little more reckless with doing launches and the like, and will be significantly lighter, although to be fair the stock set up has held up through a lot of abuse.

Regardless of your clutch setup, remove the clutch delay valve from your clutch line. It's the big fat cylinder on the line, there's a bottleneck that causes the clutch to slip on engagement, which again while luxurious, not good for performance driving. DIY
CDV delete is great advice--if OP has the hose he can do it before he even gets the transmission. I really struggle to understand why they include those darn things in the first place. Maybe so people didn't stall on the test drives? They make the clutch feel muddy and awkward to shift quickly.

Single mass...I'd recommend driving one first if you can find one. Depends on the car, how smooth you are on the throttle, and how comfortable you want to be. Between the gear lash and the jerky behavior on/off throttle, pretty sure I look like an idiot putting around parking lots in the single mass cars I've had. 😂

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
1,924 Posts
CDV delete is great advice--if OP has the hose he can do it before he even gets the transmission. I really struggle to understand why they include those darn things in the first place. Maybe so people didn't stall on the test drives?

Single mass...I'd recommend driving one first if you can find one. Depends on the car, how smooth you are on the throttle, and how comfortable you want to be. Between the gear lash and the jerky behavior on/off throttle, pretty sure I look like an idiot putting around parking lots in the single mass cars I've had. 😂
CDV is supposedly to give a smoother engagement, makes shifting less jerky in theory. But you can't slam gears like a Honda, and if you're trying to be smooth already it's weird to get used to the extra slip.

Regarding Dual mass vs single, I'd agree it's not strictly necessary for OP as it seems like this will be a trackable street car, and the extra chatter might not be worth it. For me, the car in question has a poly bushed drivetrain, half an interior, and squeaky brakes. At this point, NVH isn't a huge priority haha

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Regarding Dual mass vs single, I'd agree it's not strictly necessary for OP as it seems like this will be a trackable street car, and the extra chatter might not be worth it. For me, the car in question has a poly bushed drivetrain, half an interior, and squeaky brakes. At this point, NVH isn't a huge priority haha
Oh sure, supposed to make it smoother. I left the CDV in my Mk7 to try to get used to it...eventually I did, but it was despite the CDV and not because of it. It's just an odd thing to add damping to IMHO, moving forward I don't intend to ever leave those in again.

And haha yeah I definitely meant for his car. I've been following your posts and have little doubt you'll want a single mass in your car. In fact I'm very much looking forward to when your car inevitably becomes a spec e46. ;)

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
1,924 Posts
And haha yeah I definitely meant for his car. I've been following your posts and have little doubt you'll want a single mass in your car. In fact I'm very much looking forward to when your car inevitably becomes a spec e46. ;)
Do I go spec e46 or time attack? Hmmm, luckily I have a few years to think that over

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
^ Thanks for the above, guys.

Here's the skinny - The car had 263,000 on the odometer according to a quick vehicle history search. Originally registered in VA with 9 miles on it, then in Louisiana with 34k on it, then in VA again at 194k miles.

Thoughts on grabbing a salvage 5 speed with over a quarter of a million miles on it? It'll probably only run me about $200, but that's a lot of asphalt to have covered in one life.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Domane
3,845 Posts
Single mass flywheels don't have to be a huge pain. A lot of cars came from the factory with them. As long as they're not stupidly light and the clutch is still full-sized and fully faced they can be very tame.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
^ Thanks for the above, guys.

Here's the skinny - The car had 263,000 on the odometer according to a quick vehicle history search. Originally registered in VA with 9 miles on it, then in Louisiana with 34k on it, then in VA again at 194k miles.

Thoughts on grabbing a salvage 5 speed with over a quarter of a million miles on it? It'll probably only run me about $200, but that's a lot of asphalt to have covered in one life.
Not worth installing a 263k transmission. No way.

That said...for $200...how do you feel about doing a rebuild? Depending on what is inside, you could end up with effectively a brand new transmission for like $400 and a couple weekends.

edit: Also, I don't know your junkyard, but I'll bet a "c'mon man...263k" would get you that transmission for $175. 😜

Single mass flywheels don't have to be a huge pain. A lot of cars came from the factory with them. As long as they're not stupidly light and the clutch is still full-sized and fully faced they can be very tame.
Yes, this is true. And further a lot depends on the car too. Curb weight, engine idle speed, DBW/cable, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
If you're going to get rid of the dual mass flywheel, go ahead and get rid of the driveshaft guibo too. Oh, and just replace all bushings with poly/metal.

Unless OP is going to be drifting/launching and make this strictly a track car, the dual mass flywheel is plenty robust. That really changes the dynamics of the car and I would not recommend it for something that's going to be daily driven.

If you want to delete the CDV, that's fine, go for it. As far as regular flywheels and other cars, yes, there are plenty of vehicles with regular flywheels and clutches. They were designed with that in mind, these cars were not designed with that in mind, and it severely hurts NVH.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
If you're going to get rid of the dual mass flywheel, go ahead and get rid of the driveshaft guibo too. Oh, and just replace all bushings with poly/metal.

Unless OP is going to be drifting/launching and make this strictly a track car, the dual mass flywheel is plenty robust. That really changes the dynamics of the car and I would not recommend it for something that's going to be daily driven.
Agreed. I would love to go with a single mass flywheel but every E46 that I heard with a single mass flywheel rattled like something was broken. I would love that easy weight savings but its not worth it unless its a full track car.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Not worth installing a 263k transmission. No way.

That said...for $200...how do you feel about doing a rebuild? Depending on what is inside, you could end up with effectively a brand new transmission for like $400 and a couple weekends.

edit: Also, I don't know your junkyard, but I'll bet a "c'mon man...263k" would get you that transmission for $175. 😜
This was my thought as well, 250K miles is a no go. But at that price a rebuild could be in the cards for substantially less than a transmission that would still have 100K+

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
This was my thought as well, 250K miles is a no go. But at that price a rebuild could be in the cards for substantially less than a transmission that would still have 100K+
Yeah, even if OP has the shop do it for ~$2-3k, $200 is a drop in the bucket for a donor.

NGL I've never rebuilt a full transmission myself. But I've split cases and replaced bits here and there and it's not as scary as it sounds, MTs are relatively simple devices, from seeing what OP's done I think he'd be fine.

Now, the DSG I had open on the other hand.....I'd never recommend anybody do that. Just the valve body, holy cow, it was like a city.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
That one, plus another one, then another one all fell through in the past week. But there is a major development:

160k miles (not bad, since it's getting hard to find any with fewer than 150k), out of a 95 M3. Guy was selling an entire swap kit and said he really only deals with BMWs so to give him a call if I need anything else.

The last manual car I owned was my R32 and I sold that in 2011. I'm so excited.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Gas Bumper

Shoe Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Happy for you Matt. Can't wait for you to get the swap done and really open the car up.

BTW, make sure when you swap to manual you go to the electric fan as well. The automatic cars have fans attached to the water pump which is another parasitic drag on top of the automatic transmission. Manual cars came with electric fans.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Happy for you Matt. Can't wait for you to get the swap done and really open the car up.

BTW, make sure when you swap to manual you go to the electric fan as well. The automatic cars have fans attached to the water pump which is another parasitic drag on top of the automatic transmission. Manual cars came with electric fans.
That's interesting- my E46 M3 has a fan clutch and a mechanical fan. I didn't know that manual non-M E46s had an electric fan. I thought electric fans were an E90 thing.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
That's interesting- my E46 M3 has a fan clutch and a mechanical fan. I didn't know that manual non-M E46s had an electric fan. I thought electric fans were an E90 thing.
Yeah the non-M manual cars have an electric fan. Many people swap over to them for the weight savings and the load off the motor.

121 - 140 of 288 Posts