VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

CDL laws are continuing to get more difficult(here in NYC, there will soon be health tests where high blood pressure and high blood sugar will disqualify your CDL).

I am thinking of downsizing from 33,000lb trucks to 26,000lb trucks so that a regular DL will suffice.

I need help finding(if it even exists), a 26,000lb gvw, cab forward, cab and chassis, that is gasoline powered.

The closest I have found in my brief search is the Isuzu NRR: Isuzu N-Series Class 5 Gas Trucks (isuzucv.com) These trucks top out at 19,500gvw with a gas engine. Isuzu offers something similar at 26,000gvw, but it is diesel powered.

Our trucks are driven 8k miles per year in all-city driving, so gas just makes more sense from a maintenance/cost to acquire standpoint. Cab forward makes more sense for space efficiency/parking in a city environment.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,745 Posts
Not something I know a lot about but interested to see answers. My guess is you'll be stuck with the Isuzu/Chevy cab forward trucks and it'll have to be diesel at that weight class.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Id suggest the isuzu with 6.0 gas motor in it if youre looking.

BUT if you are only doing this to get out of having a physical you might want to rethink it.

while you dont need a CDL to run something under 26k, you are still required to carry a medical card from 10k up.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
3,477 Posts
in CT you still need a medical card to drive a commercial truck under 26000. You don't need a CDL but You have to get checked up every year or two depending on what the Doc writes it up for.

·
Premium Member
Buncha stuff
989 Posts
1. Why gas powered?
2. Get a diesel.
3. Hino 195.

-Edit: All of these will be used. Save money = win.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Why gas powered?
2. Get a diesel.
3. Hino 195.

-Edit: All of these will be used. Save money = win.
I have two Hino 338s already. Great trucks, love em. The 195 is interesting, but at that point I may as well get the Isuzu NRR because I have an indestructible gas option(Chevy 6.0). I am done with the diesel hassle, like many others in the short-haul urban environment.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Id suggest the isuzu with 6.0 gas motor in it if youre looking.
BUT if you are only doing this to get out of having a physical you might want to rethink it.
while you dont need a CDL to run something under 26k, you are still required to carry a medical card from 10k up.
It's a number of factors which are leading me in the downsizing direction. I can pass the physical without issue. I can also pass the newly required quarterly drug testing and anything else they throw at me. It's partially the time and effort required to process paperwork, and partially making hiring more difficult. The med card is much "easier" than the constant time/work needed to maintain a CDL. On top of that the 33k trucks we have are basically overkill for the jobs we do.

·
Registered
80 MK1 TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
7,650 Posts
in CT you still need a medical card to drive a commercial truck under 26000. You don't need a CDL but You have to get checked up every year or two depending on what the Doc writes it up for.
That is federal, if I recall correctly. Any vehicle over 10,000lbs needs a DOT medical card.

I have one, and got my CDL-A permit because getting the B would have been too straight forward....gotta test yourself lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts