VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the late 1970s before I came to be, my mom spent a few years in London. It's there where she fell in love with Jaguars. Now don't ask her about which model, how many cylinders, or the compression ratio of the engine.

All she'll tell you is she likes a "white Jaguar with quad headlights."

I know this because it's exactly what she's mentioned over the years and something I've heard throughout my life. But she was never in a financial position to buy one then, and wasn't later on either. She drove me to school in a beat-up Datsun 210 with faded paint, black t-shirts to cover the ripped seats, and it was constantly being fixed by my late uncle who was a mechanic.

My car ownership history is not representative of how things used to be, but I owe a lot of my success to her sacrifices, to her working multiple jobs, and now I want her to enjoy a ride in a car that she thought would never be possible.

She also hasn't driven in years and while she doesn't have a need for it, the point of this car is to fulfill her only automotive wish.

"One day I'll have a white Jaguar."

Well, now the hunt is one to find one (admittedly I've been searching for months but now getting more serious about it).

Hard requirements:
  1. White
  2. Quad headlights
Soft requirements:
  1. Vanden Plas trim (picnic tables in the back would really up the cool factor)
  2. Sedan (easier ingress/egress for my dad who's not very mobile)

To that end, I'm leaning towards an X350 (2003-2009) as they're relatively modern yet still have the classic styling. I also don't plan on keeping this long-term. I just need to find one that's reliable enough to last a couple months without any major issues (easier said than done). Spend a weekend washing/waxing it, polishing the headlights, removing the seats, shampooing the carpets, and then drive it up the coast to, say, Santa Barbara for a weekend.

That's my goal, and anything beyond that is gravy.

So, looking to get input from anyone who's owned one, things to look out for when searching, known problem areas, etc. I know they have air suspension and already looked into what it would take to replace them (not terribly hard).

I'm searching within a 500 mile radius but if anyone sees one for sale locally, let me know!

The posted pics are from this ad. I was out of town last week but @MylesPH1 did me a solid and took a look for me. Their asking price then was $16,950 but now they've bumped it by $2k because they're getting a lot of interest (apparently).

I'm looking to spend ~$10k which is twice how much they were last year when I was casually looking, but of course the used car market is crazy right now. But I mean, how many people are really looking for a 15-year-old Jag?

Am I not the only one? :)

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 Avant 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
10,625 Posts
They are out there. I would (as im sure you are already doing) be all over MP for a car like that.

If a dealer has a creampuff, ie the one above, they are going to ask WAY over market, especially in his market.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The X350 (2003-2009) has gone up in price. Last year, you could get a 2004-2005 XJR (the one w/ supercharge sleeper) for $5k. Not anymore.

$7k could get you a 70,000 miles cream-puff. A 2009 did not cost more than $10k.
When I start seeing them in the $15k range, my stomach gurgles.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I'm not even sure this is a good suggestion, but if the requirements are "white, quad headlights, Jaguar badge, and under $10k," it might be worth considering S-Types and X-Types. The short term of ownership could only help here.

·
Premium Member
ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are out there. I would (as im sure you are already doing) be all over MP for a car like that.

If a dealer has a creampuff, ie the one above, they are going to ask WAY over market, especially in his market.
MP has in Facebook Marketplace? :shudder:

(But you're right, should start poking in there more often)

I'm not even sure this is a good suggestion, but if the requirements are "white, quad headlights, Jaguar badge, and under $10k," it might be worth considering S-Types and X-Types. The short term of ownership could only help here.
While she'd probably be fine with one of those (they technically meet the requirement), I don't think it'll have the same impact. I can't show her a bunch of examples and ask her to point one out as that'll ruin the surprise, but I think this is what she remembers, so an XJ seems like the more appropriate option.

Or maybe she fell in love with an XJS V12?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I think I mentioned this in Radwood, but your best bet is a private seller who has no idea what they have on their hands. Older sedans aren’t getting too much attention so you’ll have that advantage

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
I just found your winner.

All she'll tell you is she likes a "white Jaguar with quad headlights."

Hard requirements:
  1. White
  2. Quad headlights
Soft requirements:
  1. Vanden Plas trim (picnic tables in the back would really up the cool factor)
  2. Sedan (easier ingress/egress for my dad who's not very mobile)

White? Check!
Quad headlights? Check!
Vanden Plas? Check!

Bonus: Supercharged!

Picnic tables? YES!

Less than half the price of the car at that Westside dealer? YES!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I worked in a gas station from around 1978 through 1982. One of my favorite customer cars that rolled in regularly was a V12 XJS. I still love that shape. But you said 4-door... But if you go that route, the higher efficiency "HE" V12 would be the ticket from1981-1982 era. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the car was in the "Return of the Saint", even if you were like me and missed the original Saint (Roger Moore in a Volvo P1800). Simon Templar was always cool, and so are his cars.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
41,197 Posts
This one is a bit older but it has red guts and blue plates (CA car).

pic is obviously before it was brought to Milwaukee

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Series 1 XJ6s are going to go up, they still look great, and this is the ONLY version that came in a shorter wheel base which helps with proportions. Here is a LONG wheelbase series 1, not the length of the back door/rear door glass.

Here is a SWB Series 1 Xj6, perfect proportions, rear door glass is same length as front doors

(fml this makes me sad because I own this exact car and haven't touched it yet)

Series 2 is still pretty great, but these are all LWB cars:

The bumper was moved higher for better impact protection, but other than that it's very similar to series 1.

Series 3, eh... idk.... not worth much, idk if they ever will be, so the trick is to find one that has actually been cared for. As the value goes down people are less willing to care for them properly. They're still cool, but the bumpers sort of suck.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Or maybe she fell in love with an XJS V12?
Definitely not. The 4 round headlamps in the XJS was an abomination for the US market. If she saw one in England, it would have had flush headlamps and she wouldn't have any association of '4-headlamp-Jag' with 'XJS'.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts