VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 1983 rabbit L the other day. it hasn't run in a few years, and i am pretty new at these engines. i am thinking i am missing something simple, but i'm running out of ideas. i have haynes manual, but it's not so hot. here's where i am so far:
i have spark, i have a working fuel pump. i have a new fuel goes everywhere it's supposed to. the injectors spray well when i lift up on the airflow sensor disc. is that how they're supposed to work? in that case, how does the engine get fuel to start? is that what the cold start valve is for? or that thermo-time switch thing? i tested the terminal at the cold start valve, and it said the light would go out after three to ten seconds if it was working right. it went out for a second or two then started to blink. what's that all about? would either of these two things cause the car to not start? it will start on ether but will not stay running.
what else should i look for? any suggestions? what am i missing?
thanks in advance,
lucas.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Re: help me get this started! (lucas)

Sounds like the injection is doing it’s bit.
I have read, that if the cold start circuit is not working and the temperature is low the engine will not start
Strongly suggest you buy a Bentley Manual for the car, then follow the cold start test procedure.
Good luck,
fat biker

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: help me get this started! (fat biker)

The cold start is working correctly. The Thermo-time switch closes the circuit when cold, and there is a hot start relay that will pulse the 12V to the cold start injector while cranking.
Your problems are elsewhere. Compression?
Marc

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Re: help me get this started! (Norm95)

really? compression? i hadn't thought of that. i'll have to check it. i have no idea how many miles are on this car, the odometer reads 90,000. how about the injector o-rings? those definitely should be replaced. would an air leak at the injector cause the car not to start?
also, it won't even start with starting fluid anymore. i'm going nuts. i wonder if i knocked something loose.
oh, and there's a stray wire i just noticed. it's a blue and yellow one, just one, in the center of the engine compartment sort of in the vicinity of the cooling fan motor. any ideas as to what that might be?
thanks,
lucas.
oh, and i didn't realize i was logged in as my friend steev when i posted this. my bad. i'm using his computer.

[Modified by Steev-1, 10:48 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: help me get this started! (Steev-1)

Only need three thing to make any engine run. Spark, Fuel, and Compression. If you're getting fuel, and you're getting spark, there is only one other function missing.
However, are you totally sure you are getting spark and fuel. Pull the injectors, jumper the fuel pump relay, lift up on the air flap. You should get a nice cone shaped spray from each injector. Then pull each plug, do a compression test, all cylinders should be the same, forget off hand what the specs are, maybe ~100???. Then, ground the electrode of each plug and crank. Do you see a nice blue-white spark?
One or more of the above is bad.
Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts