VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: HELP ME!!! How do you get the nut off of the camshaft sprocket??? (Veedubspeed04)

got an impact gun?
air is your friend

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: HELP ME!!! How do you get the nut off of the camshaft sprocket??? (Veedubspeed04)

You can do 2 things...if its still on the car put a screwdriver through the cam gear and across the head. Then hold and use a ratchet or just take the thing off of a car and use an impact gun. Both work great ... good luck.
~Morgan

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

They make a handy tool now to hold the sprocket while you loosen the nut. A how-to article in an old issue of VW&Porsche (now European Car) had camshaft install procedures wherein it said to just use a large adjustable wrench set to fit on the first cam lobe.
Works like a charm. The cam is a much harder metal than the wrench and is unharmed. I think it was Aaron Neumann of Neuspeed that was demonstrating the procedure.
It sounded barbaric to me but I got the nerve to try it and have done it that way ever since. You could probably put a piece of leather between the lobe and wrench jaws.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: HELP ME!!! How do you get the nut off of the camshaft sprocket??? (A2B4guy)

ok, i got it, my brother did it though, so its kinda rough...
Vice grips in between the lobes, lay the whole assembly between two peices of wood, like a sandwich. Then take a box wrench, and a BFH, and hit it. The Vice-Grips should be on the ground, so the cam and sprocket won't move, then the nut comes right off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts