VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eibach pro-kit sports springs -anyone using these with stock shocks?

I was interested in the Eibach pro-kit sports springs as they are on sale for $242 with some online vendors, also they don't go quite as low as the VWR springs.
I know they are progressive but I am not looking to track the car - just lower the stance a little and maintain a decent ride.
Has anyone fitted them with the stock shocks and can give some feedback ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am a suspension noob. I had a set of the Driver Gear springs on my 2016 Golf, and they were just okay... I traded up to a 2017 GTI Sport last weekend, loving my Golf but wanting more, and I'm trying to figure out if i want to go DG again, VWR, or Emmanuele Design. Plus what other upgrades to get. I am budgeting $1200 for this right now but don't need to spend it all. Thankfully install will be fairly inexpensive (not included in the budget) for me due to my neighbor doing this stuff for a living.

I don't track the car. It's my daily. Though, I might like to go to autocross with the guys from work once. However, I love driving and the feel of driving so I am all about wanting the car to handle well, especially if I take it up in the mountains to hit some twisty roads, which I love to do, but I also don't wish to sacrifice the day to day comfort significantly.

Like I said, the DG were okay, but I felt like they were quite unexpectedly bouncy at times. Like they had uncontrolled rebound when I hit a dip at fast speed or going over an overpass where the asphalt turned to concrete and back again. I would not call them "same as stock" as I often read people say. I felt like the rear would just catapult up (exaggerating of course but you get it). Being that I have GTI with different shocks now I don't know if they will be different.

Most people seem to love the VWR, and I think he drop looks great and I see plenty of good comments about them, but I then sometimes read they are "Way too stiff" or "ride really hard" and have seen people switch away from them.

The ED Springs are supposed to be softer than VWR and offer comparable, if not a tad more, drop while retaining more "stock" comfort levels. I'm not sure I need more drop but would be open to the comfort aspects.

So I'm torn on what to do. I don't think I want coils given what I have read about being very harsh and bouncy, and I also don't need to be slammed, but maybe I'm wrong.

So let er rip. What should I do? I'm down to hear any ideas on and the "whys" behind them. Also, I saw I could get all of the Eurocode bits (sways/end links/control arms) and save $300 off the total right now. Would this be worth it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Subbed! If there are any local forum members, nothing beats actually riding in - or driving if they're down for that - someone's GTI who has mods. Good luck as I have the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Subbed! If there are any local forum members, nothing beats actually riding in - or driving if they're down for that - someone's GTI who has mods. Good luck as I have the same question.

I put out a post trying to see if anyone would let me ride or drive. No replies yet. Someone around me in the Bay Area must have something done...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I am also interested, however I am thinking of going with a street-tuned coilover setup over just a spring install due to stock shock longevity.

Subbed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm really interested in these because I'm looking at DCC cars:
http://vag.excelerateperformance.com/mss-kits/mss-standard-kits-/mss_stfk_gmk7/i-2295061.aspx

Or if you want the same kit with adjustable front springs:
http://vag.excelerateperformance.co...able-kits/mss_stfk_gmk7fadjstr/i-2295053.aspx

They have former kits, but this set looks ideal for comfort and strut longevity. I wish I could find more than a couple reviews on Vortex and mk7golf forums... :/

·
Registered
587 Posts
I’m running ST-X coilovers, with a ST rear sway bar along with SuperPro endlinks. Running 19x8.5 ET35 with 235/35 Conti Extremecontact DW XL’s for wheels and tires. The ride is definitely stiffer than stock but by no means harsh. It handles great, with no rubbing with a 4 adults and a suitcase. I do kind of wish I would have bought some damping/rebound adjustable coilovers just for the added adjustably from day to day, but other than that it’s a blast to drive on backroads, while still being completely road trip qualified/ dailyable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am a suspension noob. I had a set of the Driver Gear springs on my 2016 Golf, and they were just okay... I traded up to a 2017 GTI Sport last weekend, loving my Golf but wanting more, and I'm trying to figure out if i want to go DG again, VWR, or Emmanuele Design. Plus what other upgrades to get. I am budgeting $1200 for this right now but don't need to spend it all. Thankfully install will be fairly inexpensive (not included in the budget) for me due to my neighbor doing this stuff for a living.

I don't track the car. It's my daily. Though, I might like to go to autocross with the guys from work once. However, I love driving and the feel of driving so I am all about wanting the car to handle well, especially if I take it up in the mountains to hit some twisty roads, which I love to do, but I also don't wish to sacrifice the day to day comfort significantly.

Like I said, the DG were okay, but I felt like they were quite unexpectedly bouncy at times. Like they had uncontrolled rebound when I hit a dip at fast speed or going over an overpass where the asphalt turned to concrete and back again. I would not call them "same as stock" as I often read people say. I felt like the rear would just catapult up (exaggerating of course but you get it). Being that I have GTI with different shocks now I don't know if they will be different.

Most people seem to love the VWR, and I think he drop looks great and I see plenty of good comments about them, but I then sometimes read they are "Way too stiff" or "ride really hard" and have seen people switch away from them.

The ED Springs are supposed to be softer than VWR and offer comparable, if not a tad more, drop while retaining more "stock" comfort levels. I'm not sure I need more drop but would be open to the comfort aspects.

So I'm torn on what to do. I don't think I want coils given what I have read about being very harsh and bouncy, and I also don't need to be slammed, but maybe I'm wrong.

So let er rip. What should I do? I'm down to hear any ideas on and the "whys" behind them. Also, I saw I could get all of the Eurocode bits (sways/end links/control arms) and save $300 off the total right now. Would this be worth it?
I can tell you right now how the VWR or Driver Gear springs are going to act on the DCC car. They are going to bounce and they are going to ride not so nice in the rear on DCC equipped vehicles. The fronts work okay but the kits as a whole leave a lot left to be desired. The only springs that have been proven to work well in all situations and are properly suited to the DCC shocks are MSS and Emmanunele Design. Both which we support, sell and install here. For someone looking to maximize performance should choose MSS. Comfort, handling and confidence are the total package with any kit you decide. The ED springs ride very well, do what they're supposed to and stick to almost anyone's budget! If you have questions to further expand upon both these options I can certainly help.

For those already using DG, H&R, VWR, etc springs, the front springs on these cars work okay when matched with the right rear kit. MSS has tested nearly every spring combination under the sun and found the street and sport adjustable rear kit match very well to any of these kits. All hope is not yet lost. :cool:

I'm really interested in these because I'm looking at DCC cars:
http://vag.excelerateperformance.com/mss-kits/mss-standard-kits-/mss_stfk_gmk7/i-2295061.aspx

Or if you want the same kit with adjustable front springs:
http://vag.excelerateperformance.co...able-kits/mss_stfk_gmk7fadjstr/i-2295053.aspx

They have former kits, but this set looks ideal for comfort and strut longevity. I wish I could find more than a couple reviews on Vortex and mk7golf forums... :/

Thanks for sharing these links. There are indeed many combinations that are available for these cars all of which have their place on a car depending what the end user is expecting. I would love to openly discuss whatever questions one might have about these kits.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can tell you right now how the VWR or Driver Gear springs are going to act on the DCC car. They are going to bounce and they are going to ride not so nice in the rear on DCC equipped vehicles. The fronts work okay but the kits as a whole leave a lot left to be desired. The only springs that have been proven to work well in all situations and are properly suited to the DCC shocks are MSS and Emmanunele Design. Both which we support, sell and install here. For someone looking to maximize performance should choose MSS. Comfort, handling and confidence are the total package with any kit you decide. The ED springs ride very well, do what they're supposed to and stick to almost anyone's budget! If you have questions to further expand upon both these options I can certainly help.

Greg, I appreciate your input, however my car doesn't have DCC. Care to touch on the topic again w/o the DCC info?

As far as the ED springs, what's the real-world drop results with those? They say 1.2 but I thought I saw someone post they settled more than that and/or had issues with the springs being too soft so they bottomed out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Greg, I appreciate your input, however my car doesn't have DCC. Care to touch on the topic again w/o the DCC info?

As far as the ED springs, what's the real-world drop results with those? They say 1.2 but I thought I saw someone post they settled more than that and/or had issues with the springs being too soft so they bottomed out.
Absolutely, the MSS springs were extensively engineering, modeled and road tested on both DCC and non DCC so they are completely interchangeable. The non DCC shocks share similar manners to that of the DCC shocks but aren't as sensitive to certain scenarios. The A3 we just installed these on on Friday did not have DCC and the car rides absolutely delightful. :wave:

With the ED springs we saw a solid .75- 1" drop from stock after installation, to road test, after alignment and after another verifying road test. I am sure these will settle ever so slightly but not enough to make a huge difference (in my opinion) I would say expect a 1"-1.1 or 1.2" drop at most or darn close to it after settling. We used the spring perch spacers that are included in the ED kit and glad we did, the car sits perfectly even after settling some. If we didn't I think the Golf R/S3 would sit too low in the rear.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
20,178 Posts
retain the stock springs, thus the suspension geometry.

upgrade the rear sway bar.

upgrade the dampers to Bilstein B6 or Koni Sports.

upgrade the tires to something much stickier.

·
Registered
394 Posts

This seems too logical and level-headed to be on an enthusiast forum! Haha

·
Registered
352 Posts

What exactly will the B6's or Koni's do for me?
What if I want a drop. I feel that stock ride height is too high, looks silly on this car.

·
Registered
20,178 Posts
What exactly will the B6's or Koni's do for me?
What if I want a drop. I feel that stock ride height is too high, looks silly on this car.
better handling.

If you want a drop, then you need to replace the struts/shocks also. That was one if the issues with your MK6 setup, better shocks/struts would have helped compensate for worsening the suspension geometry of the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to take a ride on some Bilstein B8's this weekend. I am doing VWR springs regardless of what happens.
Rear swaybar too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’m running ST-X coilovers, with a ST rear sway bar along with SuperPro endlinks. Running 19x8.5 ET35 with 235/35 Conti Extremecontact DW XL’s for wheels and tires. The ride is definitely stiffer than stock but by no means harsh. It handles great, with no rubbing with a 4 adults and a suitcase. I do kind of wish I would have bought some damping/rebound adjustable coilovers just for the added adjustably from day to day, but other than that it’s a blast to drive on backroads, while still being completely road trip qualified/ dailyable.
How are the Super Pro Endlinks?
Noise?
Why Super Pro vs something else?
Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
587 Posts
How are the Super Pro Endlinks?
Noise?
Why Super Pro vs something else?
Where did you get them from?
Great, install is a breeze but take some effort to get into the control arms. They are dead silent. I installed them with the rear sway bar and I love both products.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
I'd like to know a little more about exactly what you want to change about your car. How you want the ride/handling to change from where it is now. Also, how much of a drop do you want to do? As far as improving handling without effecting ride quality, a set of swaybars can do a lot here.

It does sound like you want a bit of a drop as well. The right amount of drop is something that is quite subjective, and something that you have to have some sort of idea on your own. Though since it sounds like you don't want to change the ride quality too much, Vogtland sport springs would be one of my top choices. If you want to further improve handling, pairing these with a good set of shocks (or even switching to coilovers) will definitely improve the handling capability of the car, though most of these options will also firm up the ride of the car. With your previous experience of the springs rebounding too much. This was a case of the shocks not having enough dampening to control the movement of the springs, and I'm guessing it got worse with age as the shocks wore. A good shock can make all the difference in how your car rides and performs as they control the motion of both the sprung (car) and unsprung (wheels/tires/brakes) weight.

Would be happy to work with you to figure out the best solution for your needs, and we can hook you up with any of the options I've listed :beer:

1 - 20 of 329 Posts