VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

281 - 300 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good afternoon all,

So last February i leased a 2019 Rabbit gti urano grey with the dsg. I'm new to the forum so please forgive me for asking any questions that may have been answered already. My prior car was a 2016 audi s3 and i had the Eurodyne ecu and tcu tune, only other upgrade was a set of pilot super sports. I did end up getting td1 flagged,but that was more of a learning experience as well as an eye opener in terms of avoiding using manufacturers for their service departments. In terms of impressions of the car after having it for a year completely stock. Handling is extremely good for a fwd car on crappy all season tires.(Upgrading to the general g max rs shortly) The motor even in stock form shines especially in third gear. Materials are good though they could be better. The 7speed dsg seems way ****tier than the six speed unit that was in my audi. When i floor it in auto, there is a lot of hesitation and lag. Hoping tcu tune sorts this out. Also the fact you can't defeat stability control, as well as the auto start stop feature are very annoying. I already know i'm going to go stage 2. My main question is, do springs help handling? I would like to lower the car, but if it negatively affects ride quality, and handling i wouldn't. Anyway looking forward to being a board member. Happy 2020
First of congrats on the new car and best if luck with it!!
I have a manual so i can not say much about the dsg.
As far as springs go it will all depend what you are after. If you are going to do springs then i highly recommend also upgrading your shocks and struts to match. Even though all these companies boast that you can use your oem units, you will kill them sooner than later and have to replace them anyway. Might as well do it right the first time around!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good afternoon all! I hope this reaches the forum well with everything going on in the world lately. I’m currently looking in to suspension options and think I’ve got it narrowed down to coilovers rather than new springs and dampers. I know APR released coilovers last fall but haven’t heard anyone running them yet to get an idea how they are. I see a lot of talk around Bilstein B14/B16 kits but as someone else posted above, that difference in cost is what usually helps sway someone’s decision. Are there any other suggestions for coilovers at or below the $1200 range? I know I’ve gotta plan for an alignment and headlight adjustment as well (and installation if I don’t get help doing it myself) so I wanna stick to that price for the coils themselves. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good afternoon all! I hope this reaches the forum well with everything going on in the world lately. I’m currently looking in to suspension options and think I’ve got it narrowed down to coilovers rather than new springs and dampers. I know APR released coilovers last fall but haven’t heard anyone running them yet to get an idea how they are. I see a lot of talk around Bilstein B14/B16 kits but as someone else posted above, that difference in cost is what usually helps sway someone’s decision. Are there any other suggestions for coilovers at or below the $1200 range? I know I’ve gotta plan for an alignment and headlight adjustment as well (and installation if I don’t get help doing it myself) so I wanna stick to that price for the coils themselves. TIA!

B16. In the grand scheme of things, buy something good once and never have to do it again. Adjusting is worth it. And it's Bilstein, they'll support you if anything goes wrong.

Sent from TRS-80

·
Registered
53 Posts
Impressions of Ohlins and Sachs

I have a 2107 Sport also. I run track events during the track season out here on the East coast, so it is a dual use car - DD plus many track days. Some impressions from having run both Ohlins and Sachs (currently on Ohlins) -

Sachs - absolutely sublime ride when shocks are set soft. The progressive springs really soak up our crappy roads out here. Stiffen the shocks for the track and the car is transformed. Hard to describe, but a huge difference. Testing at Summit Point yielded about a 2 second delta between soft and stiff shock settings. The only drawback was the popping from coil binding. I suspect if I ran a bit higher (?) they wouldn't have bound as much. They did issue an update and sent me new springs which helped immensely, but didn't quiet them completely. In retrospect, I probably should have run them a bit higher with the new springs to better quantify the range of improvement. I might still be on them.

Ohlins - linear springs, so a bit stiffer than the Sachs around town, but still more compliant than the stock setup. I run daily at about a '5', and then dial them to full stiff for smooth tracks. Like the Sachs, the transformation is remarkable. They are quieter than the Sachs, though not completely silent like the OEM. When I pull them out the next time (CS knuckles?) I'll put some thrust washers on the bottom perch as that seems to be where the noise is coming from. Ohlins recommends lubing this area, which helps. I also threw on some covers to help keep the lube in place when it rains.

Sachs Pros - easier to adjust (big adjusting knobs), smoother ride for a daily, stiffen up well for track use, though not quite as good as Ohlins

Ohlins Pros - better control on the track than Sachs, better ride than stock for DD use

Truthfully, if I had done a better job of trying to quiet the Sachs down I would be perfectly happy with them, especially for the DD part. If you lean towards daily, give the Sachs a try. If you lean towards the track, you can't(?) beat the Ohlins.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What Springs?

Looking for get some lowering springs for my 2019 Gti. Looking for a mild drop that wouldn't compromise the ride quality. I like the feel of the factory suspension but would like to reduce the wheel gap and inch or two. Suggestions?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looking for get some lowering springs for my 2019 Gti. Looking for a mild drop that wouldn't compromise the ride quality. I like the feel of the factory suspension but would like to reduce the wheel gap and inch or two. Suggestions?
If you are going an inch or two, your going to need to replace the shocks and struts as well. If you want to try and retain them, look at the h&r oe springs. Not sure if they make them for the mk8 but look into it.
If you want 2" why not go coils?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Retain OEM Spring Rate

This is my 2nd GTI. Claire is a 2015 mk7 GTI manual 4d. :heart:

I want to lower the car / decrease wheel gap. What performance lowering springs can I buy that will come close to keeping the OEM spring rate or even soften it?

DISCLAIMER:

Yes I know this is a heavily asked question. But I want a current answer. This car is incredibly stiff with this suspension/wheel/tire, (yes, even aired down & shock blocks out). If I 'feel the road' anymore I'm going to need a back brace. Has a shock / spring combo been found to actually work for this? Or is the solution still to simply cheat, and buy a meaty tire which kills some wheel gap and softens the ride?

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Wow. The springs in this generation of Golf (all of them) are softer than previous generations. Too soft. VW probably did that to compensate for 18" wheels and tires.

That being said, VWR springs have about the same spring rate. Based on your comments, you should probably consider 17" wheels (or even 16s).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had an MK6 also and my MK7 is easily... idk.... 20% stiffer.

Your saying that the OEM spring rate should not be the problem? Do you have proof of the MK7 being the softest? Wow.

The MK7 and MK6 have essentially the same wheels.

So its gota be either the tires or the shocks that have changed.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have:

- Bilstein B8
- APR lowering springs (about 1/2" - 5/8" drop)
- aluminum hubcentric rings
- 17x8 wheels
- 245/45/17

Absolutely love the ride quality. Much better than OEM if I might add. Soft, but not too soft, but definitely much more comfortable than OEM and can definitely absorb road imperfections much better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lowering spring help / question

Looking at the Whiteline lowering springs. I only want a mild drop under 1". Will the camber stay close to spec without needing a kit??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bilstein B6 + H&R OE Sport Springs

Thinking about pairing B6 performance struts and shocks with H&R OE sport springs, 034 strut mounts, ST rear sway bar and Moog sway bar end links. What do ya’ll think?

I’m currently on VWR springs and it’s time to give the car a refresh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I suggest OE strut mounts (still replace tho if over 25k miles). Good setup but if you want it to be more stiffer/feel tied down, I suggest Koni Yellow adjustable struts instead of the b6. iirc, the bilstein equivalents are a bit more tuned for comfort vs the Konis (full soft on koni is stiffer than bilstein B8 is what I heard)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which coilover????

Hello All,
I have a 2017 GTI SE 6 speed with approx. 65K. Looking to upgrade to coilovers. Narrowed down to Bilstein B14 and KW V1. Used mostly as a daily driver putting on 100 miles/day with mix of highway and twisty back roads. Pros/cons of each?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suggest OE strut mounts (still replace tho if over 25k miles). Good setup but if you want it to be more stiffer/feel tied down, I suggest Koni Yellow adjustable struts instead of the b6. iirc, the bilstein equivalents are a bit more tuned for comfort vs the Konis (full soft on koni is stiffer than bilstein B8 is what I heard)
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new to this GTI suspension stuff. Are you positive that the OEM strut top mounts and the OEM strut bearings will work with the Bilstein B6 front struts? ( I have a '16 GTI with Perf. Pkg. and DCC suspension)
-Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new to this GTI suspension stuff. Are you positive that the OEM strut top mounts and the OEM strut bearings will work with the Bilstein B6 front struts? ( I have a '16 GTI with Perf. Pkg. and DCC suspension)
-Thanks, Phil
Yeah, they will work fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
I swear I've looked at every thread for these coilovers and many others but I would love some more input from anyone who has ridden in a GTI with the H&R Street Performance coilovers. My main priority is comfort, but I'm trying to balance that with how low I want to go. The KW Street coils and the EQT coils both seem slightly more comfortable but I would be riding them all the way turned down (1.5in ish) which isn't ideal. I would prefer some leeway with how low I can go, and I would prefer to have a wheel gap of only a few millimeters. Obviously riding that low will sacrifice some comfort, but how much will I lose on the H&Rs?

Thanks guys.

281 - 300 of 329 Posts