VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

301 - 320 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Type of driving that would be done. Mostly back road/ tail of the dragon and a few track days.the vehicle would be 21 golf S. Coilovers , control arms everything that you feel would be a good addition to the set up of a vehicle that you would do.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Please list the brands of parts you would choose.
I’m running Koni adjustables with H&R Sport springs. Not too low on the drop but she handles much better now compared to stock. Also have a rear swaybar to install here in the near future. Car is also on 16” wheels.

·
James Steed
12,116 Posts
Please list the brands of parts you would choose.
Merged with an existing topic on this. I know you are new to the site but please check the FAQ at the top of the forum and in my signature there is a lot of topics in there that can help you out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just like the title says I’m looking at these coilovers 450$ and was wondering if these S1 versions are better than what they use to be? I keep seeing mixed reviews mainly good but nonetheless mixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are the solowerks S1 coilovers worth the 450$ price tag? For the price range they seem appealing. Keep hearing mix reviews but mostly good I guess. Just seeing what everyone else thinks. I don’t really want to spend double that price but will to go up a little form that price. If not I’ll stick with stock height lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought recently a 2015 GTI. The car sits a bit high over the wheels. The tires it has are: 225/40R18

I am considering H&R sport lowering springs. The ones I chose to buy are supposed to drop the height by 1 inch.
I am not a racing guy, I barely do spirited driving, but would enjoy one in a while. Also, I live in MASS, so I would still like the car to be driven on the snow without much trouble.

My question: will the lowering springs with 1 inch drop affect the ride quality? I am ok with slight change, but wish it to be none-noticable. The main purpose of the lowering springs is to drop the car a bit and improve its looks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
I am not sure how one could remove an inch from the spring length without effecting the ride quality. Even the Mk7 Golf R is not an inch lower than the Mk7 GTI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not sure how one could remove an inch from the spring length without effecting the ride quality. Even the Mk7 Golf R is not an inch lower than the Mk7 GTI.
Thanks, GTINC.

I am new to this stuff, so it is likely I have misconceptions.
Some people I read before said that they changed the springs and shocks/coilovers, and the ride quality did not change.
Could that be the path for my need??

Honestly, I do not want to spend much money on this, since the car is already good for me. I wanted to improve the looks of the car mainly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am old so my statement might not apply. I had H & R 1” lowering springs installed on my ‘15 GTI, then paid to have them removed. The ride was too stiff In the Normal DCC setting and the Comfort setting created too much bounce. And yes, the DCC system was properly coded. $1200 error!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The springs will improve the looks but they will also diminish the ride quality, handling and put more stress on other suspension components. Bounce galore and pothole explosions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My question is a bit different from most above because I just want the car a little better. My GTI is pure stock currently but I want to use it on the track (I'm quite experienced, having been racing for 10 years and instructing for 14 years). I view it as a "temporary" track car although it's a blast as a DD. My race car is a 107 HP Miata and it's just too slow to keep up with the Porsches (and just about anything else) in a DE so was hoping to take the GTI out for a few sessions when I instruct. Tried it and - HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF UNDERSTEER (with all-season Hankook Ventus Noble2).

I'm thinking of how little I can do to have the car at least reasonable on the track. It won't be my primary track car but I don't want to have to come almost to a stop to keep from plowing off the track for the turns.

I'll be installing myself.

My thoughts are:
Better tires - already put MPS4Ss on the car
Rear sway bar - The Eibach 25mm is very reasonable - anyone with experience with it?
RSB end links - Whiteline are inexpensive (anyone with experience?), Neuspeed, other suggestions?

Try that and see how much change, then consider:
Fixed or adjustable camber strut mount
Dogbone mount insert

Other "bang for the buck" suggestions? The car is fast enough in a straight line, just need to dial out that understeer so I can keep my momentum (remember I'm used to racing a car with half the horsepower).

I'm not interested in lowering the car if I can avoid it (I park it over my lift)
Not interested in coilovers

Thanks in advance for suggestions, experience with the parts mentioned, advice.
Peter

·
Registered
216 Posts
My question is a bit different from most above because I just want the car a little better. My GTI is pure stock currently but I want to use it on the track (I'm quite experienced, having been racing for 10 years and instructing for 14 years). I view it as a "temporary" track car although it's a blast as a DD. My race car is a 107 HP Miata and it's just too slow to keep up with the Porsches (and just about anything else) in a DE so was hoping to take the GTI out for a few sessions when I instruct. Tried it and - HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF UNDERSTEER (with all-season Hankook Ventus Noble2).

I'm thinking of how little I can do to have the car at least reasonable on the track. It won't be my primary track car but I don't want to have to come almost to a stop to keep from plowing off the track for the turns.

I'll be installing myself.

My thoughts are:
Better tires - already put MPS4Ss on the car
Rear sway bar - The Eibach 25mm is very reasonable - anyone with experience with it?
RSB end links - Whiteline are inexpensive (anyone with experience?), Neuspeed, other suggestions?

Try that and see how much change, then consider:
Fixed or adjustable camber strut mount
Dogbone mount insert

Other "bang for the buck" suggestions? The car is fast enough in a straight line, just need to dial out that understeer so I can keep my momentum (remember I'm used to racing a car with half the horsepower).

I'm not interested in lowering the car if I can avoid it (I park it over my lift)
Not interested in coilovers

Thanks in advance for suggestions, experience with the parts mentioned, advice.
Peter
The rear seay is a great improvement I use a VWR one, still need end links for the stiffest setting. Under steer is no joke on these! Also did deadest kit for the front, and honestly buy an ALK kit. I wish I would have done it way sooner. I currently use the PowerFkex, it’s just mounts with great bushings, immediately felt the improvement. It feels like the rack is much tighter, much better feedback to help me from pushing through turns. And with a bit of better geometry also helped the understeer. I hope to improve it more soon by adding VWR LCA’s, ball joints and camber plates. Also lighter wheels and of course sticky tires in combo with the ALK helped me mitigate the understeer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

301 - 320 of 329 Posts