VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

321 - 329 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys
I have a '15 gti dsg
So i have a set of vwr springs and bilstein b8's (front and rear) ordered. Hopefully getting them sometime next week.
Once installed what will the ride quality be like? I know it will be stiffer than stock, but I just don't want it to be too bouncy.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thankssss

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
.....vwr springs.....what will the ride quality be like? I know it will be stiffer than stock, but I just don't want it to be too bouncy.....
Shorter/stiffer springs will result in a deterioration in ride quality (matter of physics) but, unless you plan to remove the shocks, can't see how the ride would be more bouncy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done more research since the above post, and don't want to get the wrong RSB just to save $30. But I can't find answers to my remaining questions:

So...looking for help deciding on rear sway bars. It looks to me like the ECS tuning bar is very similar to the 034 bar, but the ECS bar is over $100 less expensive. Both are just over 25mm bars, both have billet mounting brackets with grease fittings. I know the 034 is a solid bar, and I assume the ECS bar is also solid.

Also, the 034 RSB "dynamic" end links look like a better design with the asymmetrical mounting for "stiff" or "soft" - has anybody used these end links with the ECS tuning sway bar, which seems to be a good match for only $13 more?

Please post your experience, or if you prefer a different bar or end links for whatever reason--remember this is a mostly-street-driven DD with a little track time driven by an experienced driver..

Thanks in advance (and thanks, GroovyVW for your response above).

Peter

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've done more research since the above post, and don't want to get the wrong RSB just to save $30. But I can't find answers to my remaining questions:

So...looking for help deciding on rear sway bars. It looks to me like the ECS tuning bar is very similar to the 034 bar, but the ECS bar is over $100 less expensive. Both are just over 25mm bars, both have billet mounting brackets with grease fittings. I know the 034 is a solid bar, and I assume the ECS bar is also solid.

Also, the 034 RSB "dynamic" end links look like a better design with the asymmetrical mounting for "stiff" or "soft" - has anybody used these end links with the ECS tuning sway bar, which seems to be a good match for only $13 more?

Please post your experience, or if you prefer a different bar or end links for whatever reason--remember this is a mostly-street-driven DD with a little track time driven by an experienced driver..

Thanks in advance (and thanks, GroovyVW for your response above).

Peter
I can't speak to the construction of the ECS RSB, but I've got the 034 RSB and it performs very well. No direct experience with the dynamic end links, but I would NOT recommend their Spherical end links. I had them installed for about a week before I couldn't take the clunking noises (after multiple adjustments). Seems to be a common issue with them and I ultimately switched back to new MOOG end links. They work much cheaper, work great, and are dead silent.

Reactions: Dr K

·
Registered
139 Posts
I proudly own a 2016 GTI SE DSG PP LP car with APR Stage 2. Car is great and I have zero issues since new. My car has 63,000 miles and I'm just wondering when I might start to think about replacing (due to wear) stock front and rear suspension components? What are the most common wear items that will need replacing in both the front and rear suspension. I don't have any plans to lower the car or track the ar. For just fun, around town spirited driving, what would be some replacement components to consider?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I proudly own a 2016 GTI SE DSG PP LP car with APR Stage 2. Car is great and I have zero issues since new. My car has 63,000 miles and I'm just wondering when I might start to think about replacing (due to wear) stock front and rear suspension components? What are the most common wear items that will need replacing in both the front and rear suspension. I don't have any plans to lower the car or track the ar. For just fun, around town spirited driving, what would be some replacement components to consider?
Based on your description as a 100% daily driver, I would suggest retaining OEM springs and choosing either Bilstein B4’s, or Bilstein B6’s. Both are purpose-built for stock-height/stock spring GTIs.

B4’s are “OEM+ Replacement,” advertised as about 10% more stiff than stock, with rebound dampening (the main thing factory shocks lack) and overall higher quality being a OEM+ Designed aftermarket upgrade, not some parts bin crud for the masses.

B6’s are street sport dampers, And would upgrade your performance fairly significantly over stock.

I’m going B6’s on my Alltrack in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
Based on how you use and plan to use the vehicle, I would see no reason you would need to replace anything for many more miles. If something needs to be replaced, you will know it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Based on how you use and plan to use the vehicle, I would see no reason you would need to replace anything for many more miles. If something needs to be replaced, you will know it.
If he thinks they need to be replaced it’s because he’s feeling a reduction of performance I’d imagine. I definitely felt like my struts were showing signs of wear at 60K miles on my 2015 GTI.

they’re not designed to last 100K miles.

321 - 329 of 329 Posts