VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i cant start my car becouse i have no power to the fuel pumps
i have power @ the relay panal ony on the #30 plug. the others #s 86, 85, & 87 dont have power when the key is on. has anyone had this happen to them befor??? also the relay is good. what could it be!!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: help me NO POWER TO FUEL PUMPS!! help me (COOLGTI86)

Do you have spark at the spark plugs? Pull a plug, lay it on it's side on the valve cover or some other bare metal and crank the thing. If there's no spark, the fuel pump relay won't turn on. That's a safety feature to prevent you from pumping the contents of your fuel tank onto the exhaust system if the fuel line breaks in an accident.
If you have no spark, then you'll need to fix that. Most likely when you fix the ignition problem, the fuel pump will turn on when you crank it.
If you want to test the rest of the fuel pump circuit, you can jumper the relay and see if the pump comes on. I use a fuse holder with a couple of spade lugs on it. The connection is shown in Bentley. That will tell you if the pump is good and the wiring is good. Don't drive it with a jumper. The relay is an important safety feature.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: help me NO POWER TO FUEL PUMPS!! help me (Racer_X)

i have spark but both fuel pumps dont have power. @ the relay panal the two big conections dont have power with the key on or off. the medium sized one has power with the key on and the smalles one dosnt have power.
i would think that the two big ones should have power with the key on. but the #10 fuse dosent have power eather.
so i have no power to the #10 spot on the fuse panal and no power to the relay panal with the exception of the medium sized female conection on the relay panal

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

well after hours of looking at wires. i have power at the fuse occasionaly and the pumps works occaasionly. if you play with the ignition you can get the light to come on and off in diffrent times when you turn it. i cheeked the ignition switch with a ohms meter and i had continunity where the bently manual sayed i should ,but could it just be bad and still do this?... if anyone could help me out it would be awesome

·
Registered
480 Posts

Do you mean you dont have power when the ignition is switch on,or when the engine is cranked?
as you should only have power for a couple of second when ignition is at first turn,then not till engines turned over will there be power

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Re: help me NO POWER TO FUEL PUMPS!! help me (rossmc1)

change your ignition switch dude, then check your ground connections, but i bet it is your switch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts