VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to dive in to weekend detailing for myself, family and friends.
I've came up with this list below and could use opinions on my choices for a "starter kit" per say.
Keep in mind these are Canadian prices from an Canadian online retailer.

GRIOT'S GARAGE 6" GLASS POLISHING KIT ( i chose this kit because i figured I get the glass pads and polish for a few bucks more than just the DA by itself)
includes:
- GRIOTS GARAGE 6" RANDOM ORBITAL POLISHER (not sure if its the 10ft. cord or 25 ft. one)
- GRIOT'S GARAGE 6" GLASS POLISH PADS (SET OF 3)
- GRIOT'S GARAGE FINE GLASS POLISH (16OZ)
price: $219.00

MEGUIAR'S 105 COMPOUND, 205 POLISH, 26 WAX WITH PADS (from what I researched Meg's is the industry benchmark and their products are user friendly)
includes:
- MEGUIAR'S M105 COMPOUND (8OZ)
- MEGUIAR'S M205 ULTRA FINISHING POLISH (8OZ)
- MEGUIAR'S M26 HIGH TECH YELLOW WAX (16OZ)
- 3 X LAKE COUNTRY 6.5" CCS PADS (1 ORANGE - medium cutting, 1 WHITE - polishing & 1 BLACK - wax application)
price: $76.61

and a FOAM PAD CLEANING BRUSH for 3.99

all in, about $340.00 CAD shipped to my door.

I have a handful of CG's products like their wash 'n gloss, butter wet wax and jet seal.

I'll need a clay bar kit and could always use more microfiber towels of course.

So hows my list?

All opinions welcome!
Cheers.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not sure what you're overall budget is like but Griot's makes good units. More power and better overall than say a Porter Cable or Harbor Frieght one. I would suggest looking into The Boss version of them for the best value. Little more money but a better unit that will last.

Bundles aren't something I'm fond of only because they don't necessarily save you a lot and may not cover exactly what you're in need of. My guess is this is just for your personal use not as a side gig so I'll folllow up along with that assumption made.

Some basic questions so I can point you in the right direction:

Year/Make/Model and color of your car?
Has it been buffed prior?
Any repainted areas that you are aware of?
Any pics of the paints condition? Just wanting to make sure if you need to compound and if what level of aggressiveness. Or perhaps just polish. Insight on pics or a good description of what you're trying to correct or accomplish will help.

The above will help narrow product choices as in many cases specific paints do respond better to certain products. Same with Pads.

In terms of products and pads, you'll want to invest in a minimum of 5 pads for compounding, changing them out ever 2 panels. Polish wise, if you compound first, you can get away with 4, if you go straight to polishing or using an all in one (AIO) go with 5. Pad colors and corresponding use vary depending on the manufacturer but Lake Country White or even Green pads are great for your final polish. Green works best on AIO products, white is good for a fine polish only such as Meg's 205/Ultimate Polish. Honestly, I would be 6 just to have a spare in case you damage one or drop one. I'm OCD and like even numbers too. :) The number of pads is critical and important. It's one of the biggest downfalls where people try and use only 1-2 pads and that's the worst thing you can do.

Last Step Product aka wax or sealant wise you can pick up 2 black pads to apply the product. I'll be happy to go over a few that work well once you get the above. Tons and tons of good options for all the above. What you have is okay and will work too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.