VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm graduating this spring and I'll probably be commuting from the city to the 'burbs every day for work. My Civic is fun on suburban backroads, but is really annoying on the highway. Driving for an hour with the engine buzzing and every interior panel rattling is pretty tiring.

My urban battle cruiser
I'll keep driving it for a while after I'm done school, because I'd be stupid not to, but eventually it will break or maybe I'll have lots of money to waste. Anyway, I'll want to replace it with something more suited to city and highway traffic driving.
Here are my ideas so far:
-1997-2001 Honda Prelude:
Pros: good looks, more "grown-up" than a Civic, more comfortable on highway
Cons: will get stolen, hard to find in nice shape, might still feel like a tin can
-2002-2005 Honda Civic Si:
Pros: hatchy! reliable, fast enough, probably feels more solid than my old one
Cons: some people think they look goofy, "why didn't you buy an RSX?", another Civic
-1998-200x Saab 9-5 Aero
Pros: delicious Sweedish seats, big turbo, can get a wagon
Cons: still kind of expensive, am I a professor? reliability?
-1982-1985 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Pros: no power (67hp baby!) = no more tickets, tank-like construction, diesel sounds
Cons: no power = pent-up rage, maybe tanks need airbags, diesel sounds may prove irritating in time
Any other suggestions? I've also given brief thought to the E34 5 series, W124 diesels and E36 3 series.
I don't really want to buy anything new since it will get manhandled by city parking in a few months. I probably should suck it up and buy a new Civic, right?

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Re: (farragutguy0)

Miata

I'm serious, if you get an 01+ LS NB, you get leather seats, 6disc changer plus all the performance goodies, they dont rattle a lot, are very comfortable with the right tires and the best form of stress releif.
For example take the 01 SE, it has all the comfort goodies, and also comes in British racing green and a wood wheel and shift knob, classic roadster and it has an LSD.

Also they are relatively cheap, reliable great on gas
edmunds review
http://www.edmunds.com/insidel...477#4

Modified by manmanSS at 5:57 PM 11-28-2006

· Registered
6,777 Posts
Re: Help me replace my VTEC-powered tin can! (AndrewTosh)

My vote goes to the Prelude. If you can find a good one, you owe it to the enthusiast community to keep it from falling into the hands of yet another punk ass.
Also love the comment - "Am I a professor?" So true!

· Registered
1,743 Posts

How about a focus?

P.S. Is the civic really that bad of a highway car? I was actually considering getting a similar year hatch to replace my current car.

· Registered
26,635 Posts
Re: (farragutguy0)

67hp? Try 62hp, and that's when they were new 20 years and 200+k miles ago.

I'd consider the Prelude, if insurance doesn't kill you. Great cars and highly underrated. Great alternative to an RS-X or other for less money.

· Registered
6,549 Posts
Lots of commuting miles 5 days a week generally screams "OLDER CIVIC" to me. I'd say keep the thing until it requires too much in repairs to be worth it. Maybe put a few bucks into a nicer stereo, cruise control, and some Dynamat to make the highway travel a little less tedious.
Honestly, without knowing your backstory with this car, it sounds like the perfect commuter: durable, reliable, great fuel economy, if you scratch/dent/wreck it you won't feel terrible, and it's probably paid for to boot.

-Bob

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Help me replace my VTEC-powered tin can! (two.twoliter)

Quote, originally posted by two.twoliter »
P.S. Is the civic really that bad of a highway car? I was actually considering getting a similar year hatch to replace my current car.

Not really. Mine has a GS-R engine and transmission from B16 Civic (shorter gears) so it revs pretty high on the highway. The short gearing is nice in the city, though.
The car itself has over 180k and is starting to feel like it. The body has a lot of small scratches and dents. I'm sure it will keep running for a long while, but it's not really a pleasant place to be.
If you get a hatch with the stock engine, I think it would be fine for highway use. The EX engine/transmission that was in there before didn't rev as high on the highway, and (aside from the Si hatch) it's the shortest-geared D-series transmission.

· Registered
99,754 Posts

Quote, originally posted by AndrewTosh »
I'm graduating this spring and I'll probably be commuting from the city to the 'burbs every day for work. My Civic is fun on suburban backroads, but is really annoying on the highway. Driving for an hour with the engine buzzing and every interior panel rattling is pretty tiring.

My urban battle cruiser
I'll keep driving it for a while after I'm done school, because I'd be stupid not to, but eventually it will break or maybe I'll have lots of money to waste. Anyway, I'll want to replace it with something more suited to city and highway traffic driving.
Here are my ideas so far:
-1997-2001 Honda Prelude:
Pros: good looks, more "grown-up" than a Civic, more comfortable on highway
Cons: will get stolen, hard to find in nice shape, might still feel like a tin can
-2002-2005 Honda Civic Si:
Pros: hatchy! reliable, fast enough, probably feels more solid than my old one
Cons: some people think they look goofy, "why didn't you buy an RSX?", another Civic
-1998-200x Saab 9-5 Aero
Pros: delicious Sweedish seats, big turbo, can get a wagon
Cons: still kind of expensive, am I a professor? reliability?
-1982-1985 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Pros: no power (67hp baby!) = no more tickets, tank-like construction, diesel sounds
Cons: no power = pent-up rage, maybe tanks need airbags, diesel sounds may prove irritating in time
Any other suggestions? I've also given brief thought to the E34 5 series, W124 diesels and E36 3 series.
I don't really want to buy anything new since it will get manhandled by city parking in a few months. I probably should suck it up and buy a new Civic, right?

I am curious. Did you pull off to the side of the freeway to drain the snake, then after turning around thought "this would make a good pic."?

And your 5 speed EX Civic is actually a great car for the vintage. Motortrend did a bang for the buck competition in 93 and the EX Civic did very well- they said it had performance comparable to much more serious sporting vehicles from just a few years back (at the time).
Anyways- I would go with a 2000 Civic SI coupe over all the options listed. Keeping the car light makes the 160hp feel like more, and it is the best of the classic Civic SI's IMO (better than the last 2.0 hatchback).

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Help me replace my VTEC-powered tin can! (BRealistic)

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
I am curious. Did you pull off to the side of the freeway to drain the snake, then after turning around thought "this would make a good pic."?

Nope, I pulled over to take a pic of this cool tree I passed every day driving home in the summer:

Quote »
Anyways- I would go with a 2000 Civic SI coupe over all the options listed. Keeping the car light makes the 160hp feel like more, and it is the best of the classic Civic SI's IMO (better than the last 2.0 hatchback).

Hm. It'd be a lot like the car I have now, but maybe not as old and beat-up. Then I'd miss the B18's torque and have to swap one in (again).

· Registered
14,315 Posts

I'd get the Saab... Great highway cruiser, tons of power, understated, rare enough, but still pretty reliable (I seem to recall the 9-5 getting pretty good reliability ratings). Stupid car to buy new, smart to buy used.

· Registered
5,639 Posts

did you just say you'd miss the b18's torque?

saab's are getting killed in the resale market, i bet one can be had if one is willing to look. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Re: (manmanSS)

Quote, originally posted by manmanSS »
Miata

I'm serious, if you get an 01+ LS NB, you get leather seats, 6disc changer plus all the performance goodies, they dont rattle a lot, are very comfortable with the right tires and the best form of stress releif.
For example take the 01 SE, it has all the comfort goodies, and also comes in British racing green and a wood wheel and shift knob, classic roadster and it has an LSD.

Also they are relatively cheap, reliable great on gas
edmunds review
http://www.edmunds.com/insidel...477#4

Modified by manmanSS at 5:57 PM 11-28-2006

Damn, man... I love my NB as much as the next guy, but I really doubt it's what this guy is looking for. He said he wants a car that's quieter and more comfortable on the highway. The NB miata is NOT that car. An uninsulated top, rough ride, and engine turning 4000RPM at 75MPH does not a good highway car make.
I'm starting an internship which involves a long commute in a month and a half, and I'd like to use my first couple of paychecks to find an old, comfortable battleship to commute in. The miata is pretty bad for long drives.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.