VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some f***er went around my condo complex egging cars. My got hit! How do I get the egg off without damaging my car? It's 16 degrees here, if it makes any difference for being below freezing. I'm hoping that will work in my favor, Help!!
-Kelly

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: HELP! My car was egged!! (ChromaKelly)

Temp might work in your favour .. thing is ,, get it off as fast as you can .. the egg will etch your clear coat. even if you need to take a pail of hot water and towels out there and soak the spot where the egg landed and thaw it and gently wipe it off. You might end up witha swirl or 2 but thats better than ruined etched clear. Or .. go to a hand wash place and have it done for $10. Locally we have an enclosed self wash with the spray wands.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Get it off NOW & get it off FAST!! If you can go to a DIY carwash and just water pressure, DO NOT scrub it until the egg is soft.
Been there done that

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: HELP! My car was egged!! (BlackWolfie)

Oh my... I hope it all works out for you, because that chromaflair paint will be a pain to match properly.

·
Registered
516 Posts

I can't understand why people get a kick out of doing that. That's OK, one of my closest friends, she had her car egged over the weekend, but it's a 1991 Toyota Corolla and the paint's pretty much gone to crap anyway. LOL (I drive her nuts saying stuff about the car lol It's all in fun
) But she had a realatively easy time cleaning it off because it's warm here. Of course cleaning the driveway was another story. lol
The worst case of car vanalism is about ten years ago, we had new neighbors move in and the kids next door decided to spraypaint both of their cars silver. They painted the ENTIRE car, both of them, silver; the windows, license plate, the tires. Oh god it was nuts. I can't remember what they did to the cars afterward though... I guess we should just be glad that doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HELP! My car was egged!! (BRM10984)

Luckily, the damage isn't too bad. Here's what it looks like:

My husband said one can get touch-up paint for ChromaFlair's from VW.

Modified by ChromaKelly at 9:26 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

That's not bad at all. I'm glad it worked out for you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ChromaKelly »
Luckily, the damage isn't too bad. Here's what it looks like:

My husband said one can get touch-up paint for ChromaFlair's from VW.

Modified by ChromaKelly at 9:26 PM 2-17-2004

Yeah, doesn't look bad at all, are the marks only in the clearcoat? If so, don't use touch up paint, looks like you may be able to buff it out with a polishing compound, (meguiars scratch-X, etc...). You don't want touch-up paint over your clear, it wont' look right. If buffing doesn't work then somet light wetsanding w/2000 grit paper and buffing will do the trick, but if you're not comfortable with doing that take it to a good detail shop, they should be able to take care of it for you. You won't even know it was ever there... I'm by no means an expert...it's only my opinion by looking at the pics. Good luck though.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Those little marks in the paint are from the sharp edges of the shell cutting into the clear. Since it is such a new car, you might want to seek the assistance of a professional detailer who is adept at using a buffer and fine machine polish to reduce the visibility of the cuts while removing as little material as necessary. It all depends how deep the shell cut into the finish. not so deep, and you may be able to make it invisible, down to the color coat... and you just have to live with it.
Touch up paint is not the answer. sorry

·
Registered
483 Posts
About a year ago, I was driving through a neighborhood at night in my Vanagon. My gf was in the passenger seat, w/ the window down and our Pomeranian poking its nose out.
Out of the corner of my eye I see a couple kids duck behind a tree... a second later we get clobbered hard by two eggs. I slammed the brakes, reversed, got out and looked all around ready to make the little bastards lick it up, but they were long gone, or well hidden.
One egg went through the window and just missed hiting my gf and the dog (could have caused major injury to that little thing who's head aint much bigger than an egg). It landed on the dash, and gooey yellow nasty seeped all inside my gauge cluster - getting on the speedo, tach and clock. I spent hours pulling it all apart and cleaning w/ q-tips, toothpicks and profanity.
Stupid kids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts