VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it states above. Only occasionally, when I turn my 88 Cabby off the heat blower stays on. And on rainy days the wipers keep going. When and If I notice this happen I turn the fan speed up and down till it turns off. Same goes for the wipers, if I turn them on and off they eventually stay off. The battery discharges irradically as well. It will have 12v for 2 weeks and then not turn over at all. (Im assuming it's because I fail to notice the accessories still on) Whats the deal??
thanks, Jessica

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (ispy2GTIs)

nice to see someone local. (Redmond here)
sounds like a ignition switch goin out.
hmm.. I gotta think about this an get back to ya.
If you would like some help, message me. I got some toolz multimeter, and my weekend is pretty clear cept for skiin this weekend at snoqual.. - seeing as "my" coffee shop is in lynwood, I could kick it witcha, maybe sat if your interested.
I might just wanna come over to droool over your slc-gagagagag

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (DubPhreek)

It sounds to me like the load reduction relay. its operating whenever it wants.....
Can you check if you have power to other accesories as well? Rear defroster maybe? What about the lights?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (Black_cabbie)

Ya the load reduction relay sounds like it mgiht be the culprit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (2L Bunny)

Well we found something odd today. After looking underneath at the fuses we found a wire jammed up in with a fuse that went straight to the cooling fan, keeping it on constantly. Anyways we fixed all the dip [email protected]# wiring the previous owner/shop did and tested the thermo switch which ended up being bad- replaced that. Still looking into the load reduction relay- sounds right after looking in the book. This car is soooooo frustrating right now!!!
There sooo much wrong that needs to be fixed. Oh well, thats a VW for ya.
thanks for the help, Jessica

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (ispy2GTIs)

could be more messy stuff in the fuse box, even water in some relays that are shorting it

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
Re: help! my fan and wipers stay on after I turn the car off!! (stevelangford)

what it sounds like to me is that your stalks went bad...I don't know if all of you know this but you can test your fan switch w/o turning on your car by turning your headlight switch on, turning the fan switch to 4, and pulling back on the high beam switch...It will run the fan motor...fun to do to people...but if one of the stalks went bad, and it was sensing that one of the stalks was pushed back, wouldn't the fan motor run after the car was shut off? maybe the PO knicked the wiring putting in an alarm or something...would explain the wiper thing from the other side as well....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts