VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the situation. I've got a 99.5 Golf 2.0L with 65,000 miles on her. When I'm cruising down the freeway, the car seems to lose power for a split second before getting full power again. It's as if I've taken my foot off the gas for a second even though I haven't. It seems to happen most when I'm at freeway speeds and between 3000 and 4000 RPM. AC being on or off has no effect. Happens less under heavy acceleration.
Maintenance wise, it's tip-top. Oil changes have been regular. My only possible thought is with the timing belt. This problem seems to have started shortly after I have the timing belt and serpentine belt replaced. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I would be a jerk and say your loss of power is from the 2.0L motor, but I don't wanna stoop to that..

I really don't have a clue. Here's a free bump. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (ZeRo_C0oL)

Quote, originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL »
I would be a jerk and say your loss of power is from the 2.0L motor, but I don't wanna stoop to that..

I really don't have a clue. Here's a free bump. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks for the bump. And thanks for not being 'a jerk' ... my car is already being the jerk! (Pun intended) Still no thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I actually own a 2001 Jetta 2.0 too, so I can't be too much of a jerk.. I've got one of my own.

Do you think it's transmission related, or what?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Help Needed: Identify loss of power in my Golf (pharph)

Well, my car has NO mods, not even a K&N filter, so it's not that. As for the Spark Plugs, that's a good question. I'm going to check on that here this morning. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts

How many miles on the car? what type of trani? if its a manual it may be your clutch.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Help Needed: Identify loss of power in my Golf (vee6gti00)

Quote, originally posted by vee6gti00 »
How many miles on the car? what type of trani? if its a manual it may be your clutch.

As mentioned above, it's got 65,000 miles. Also, it's a Manual.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Bump.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Late night bump. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Help Needed: Identify loss of power in my Golf (snowdog650)

Well, my car's in the shop right now. I told them what I'd heard as possible problems via Vortex. When I hear the official problem, I'll post up again in case anyone else has this problem in the future.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Shop drove it and couldn't reproduce the problem (of course). They looked the car over and said that nothing was wrong with it. I went ahead and had the Spark Plugs replaced since they were due at 60K and I'm at 65K+.
The good news is, problem fixed!
Thanks for the insight guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts