VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 93 jetta mk3. I'm a very technical person having built computers and other electronics in the past, but I know jack squat about cars (and this is the first I've owned). I wanted to start doing some work on it and first up is the speaker setup because the factory stuff is ****.
I looked around on Crutchfield and this is what I picked out:
in-dash stereo: Pioneer DEH-P3800MP $129.99 ($110 scratch)
(3xfront door, rear door, rear deck) 6-3/4" 3-way car speakers: Kenwood KFC-C1739ie $69.99 ($54.99 scratch)
7/8" poly dome Tweeters: Pioneer TS-T110 $49.99
Bandpass enclosure with dual 10" subwoofers: Visonik V103BP $129.99
amplifier: Profile AP600 $109.99
total: $615 ($565 scratched)
I have a couple questions
1) It seemed from the reviews that Profile amp was the way to go, but there were many different versions usually just featuring different watts. Which amplifier is for me (if any)?
2) Do I need the 3-way crossover? Reading an article on it it seems like it would help, but is it actually necessary or more an audophile thing?
3)Is the subwoofer I've picked any good? The reviews make it seem like it, but there were tons of different subs and types of subs to pick from. For component subs it seems like I would need something to house them in, and I didn't see that on Crutchfield. How easy are these to set up, or should I stick with the boxed twin subs?
4) Do I need the tweeters, will they make that much of a different over the factory ones taking the rest of the new system in to account?
5) Can I go cheaper? $600 is a lot of money for me and if I can go cheaper on any parts I would love it.
6) Can I do it myself? This will be my first time and I'll be flying solo as none of my friends are car-guys unfortunately. Like I said I've done electrical stuff before so it's not like I'll be wondering what a screwdriver is.

-----------------
Thanks in advance for any help provided

Modified by ceoddyn at 8:02 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
353 Posts
Re: help noob with stereo system (ceoddyn)

1. I have a profile amp. It's pretty cheap but it does the job. So if you are on a budget then just get a profile amp that puts out an enough power for your sub(s). If you can afford a better amp then i would buy a better one. Also if the reason why you are using a two channel amp is because you are gonna use two subs, then just get a 1 channel amp. You can run multiple subs off of one channel as long as they are getting enough watts.
2. not sure
3. I think that visonic subs are just crap that will make your car shake while sounding bad. If you buy a component sub all you have to do is put some type of sealent around the edge (like caulk) and screw it in. I have a kicker 12" cvr which takes 400w rms and i'm only giving it 350w rms from a profile 700 i think. It sounds clean and pounds like a mother f***er. There are harder hitting subs but i never listen to it at full blast because i get a headache after 10 mins.
4. I wouldn't buy aftermarket tweeters. I would either just use the tweeters built into the 3-ways by themselfs or those in addition to the stock ones.
5. For cheap you can try ebay. You won't get warrenties but i got my sub for $80 off ebay brand new and its $150 on crutchfield. My system is nothing special but i like how it sounds. I have an alpine 9856 HU w/ ipod hookup $230, Kicker cvr 12" off of ebay $80, sub box for $50 from cartoys (can get boxes for cheaper). Alpine type-S components for $110 on amazon, $100 jbl amp that puts out 60w rms x2, and my profile amp for the sub for $100. I think that all adds up to $670 which is a little more than what you listed up but i think it will sound better. I'm not saying that you should buy everything that i did, just showing you the route that i took.
6. It is all realy easy to do. Coaxial speakers are a piece of cake, Headunit takes a little time, and wiring for amps can get complicated because you have to find ways to hide wires. I'm 16 and i did everything myself. I also have built a few computers of my own
. The hardest part for me was the install for the component speakers but i did that in a day in my driveway.

· Registered
12,686 Posts
Re: help noob with stereo system (ceoddyn)

a bandpass box is designed for hatchbacks or SUVs... Go with a sealed box, be alot cheaper.... the door tweeters are a waste of money... just replace your stock lower door speakers...
but dont be mad if you spend $600 and your systems sounds like $600...
I spent that on my radio alone, no offense... if you want quality you have to spend the money or find it used somewhere....

· Registered
893 Posts
I would go with a slot ported box instead of a bandpass, they sound much better.
For 600$ you probably can find better stuff from somewhere other then crutchfield.
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2680.html
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5292.html
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7509.html
Subs amp + box, total 260$
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4353.html
Speakers x3 (much better then the kenwoods you were looking at) 189$
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6475.html
deck- 120$
Total is less then 600$ still, better gear I think as well. Only thing you might consider doing is one less pair of speakers and component fronts instead.

· Registered
893 Posts
Re: (no vtec 4me)

Quote, originally posted by no vtec 4me »
lets jsut say u get what u pay for......for subs, a head unit and speakers u should spend like 1500 for sumthing good....thats only one sub if u want dual subs thats more

Terms such as good are quite relative to each individual. More important then simply how much everything costs is what you buy and where you buy it from, as well as how well you put it all together. This is why thing such as custom boxes make differences, and why speakers sound different in different cars.
600$ is really not a whole lot of money to work with in car audio though. Example, my front tweeters alone cost that much

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Re: (GTIaudiophile)

looks like your buing the cheapest system out there.
all of that was ****ty equip. the deck was by far the nicest and its pretty low end.
get used stuff, electonics its hard to go wrong.
i got jl subs directed amps pioneer preimer deck and am lookin at some new components, boston's got my eye so do hertz and macrom to list a couple.
dont bother cheaping out, buy all the ////////////roxors you want but its gonna sound like ass. and ass to everyone.

· Registered
893 Posts
^ The actual model matters alot more then simply the brand. Example, JL subs, the W0, W1,W3,W6,W7 there is a large discrepancy in performance between the different offerings from the brand.
And Directed Amps... well I won't go there with that one.
If you really want help with car audio then perhaps check out caraudio.com or elitecaraudio.com. Perhaps in the OP's instance it might be best to go to an actual retailer and listen to some stuff on the display, get an idea for preference and some options

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.