VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it out & i replaced. The o-ring & valve cover gasket. Is there another. Seal That goes between the head & distributor? When i got the engine i noticed the leak.. I have the abf motor if that means anything.. has anyone experience this problem??

·
Registered
783 Posts
yes, there is a seal inside of the distributor, it is rare to find now because they arent replaced too often.. easiest thing to do is get another dist..

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
If it isn't leaking into the distributor, it isn't the internal seal. More than likely the gasket part that goes around the dist shaft. Also try lubing the o-ring with oil before installing. Might be that is too dry and breaking on installation...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Mine did that too. I replaced the green o ring around the distributor, but it ended up still leaking. Bought a new distributor, still leaking. So I put a little bit of rtv sealant against the mating surface of the distributor and the head and it hasn't leaked since. Some actually put a bit of sealant on the inner portion where the distributor slides into. That works fine too.

If yours is leaking internally, you can rebuild it and replace the seal. I tried to do that with mine, but I couldn't get the damn pin out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.