VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I recently got my car back from the shop after a battle with some road debris left me with a gouged bumper, driver's headlight, and fender. Everything is cool with the exception of the aim on the driver's headlight. They had it adjusted WAY high. I've got the Bentley, I've tried adjusting it on my own, but there doesn't seem to be enough range of adjustment to get it where I need it. I've cranked the inside adjusted (the one for height) down for what seems like forever, but it seems to be at its limit. Once it "popped" and the light jumped back up.
Any ideas how to get this back down to normal? Is there a way to adjust the whole assembly, then do fine tuning only with the adjustment screws?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (bhaney)

if youve got stockers...just have them aimed. they will use a laser and do it correctly. it is well worth the money.
oh, double check your tire psi and make sure the car has everything in it that you normally carry w/ you(back seat, extra tools, work supplies, extra underware, etc.)
That way the car will be balenced how it usually will be so the lamps aim will not be effected once you set your car for "normal"

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (HIDGolf)

Well, I have a question then. I recently 'dropped' my car about 1.5 inches. It seems as though the headlights do not have the 'range' that they used to. should the lights be adjusted after you lower your car?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (HIDGolf)

Brett,
Are you sure the body work on the fender didn't affect the positioning of the headlight assy?
Also, if it "popped" while adjusting, the inner reflector may have come off the adjustment pin, and be "free floating"
John

[Modified by John and the GTi, 9:31 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (John and the GTi)

John,
quote:[HR][/HR]Are you sure the body work on the fender didn't affect the positioning of the headlight assy?[HR][/HR]​
Can't say for certain, although the chances are low. The damage wasn't severe and was most likely fixed with a dent puller. It was about a 4" crease in the driver's side fender, about 3" back from the font. I got hit with a flat piece of metal, looked to be about the size of a Rolling Stone magazine...

quote:[HR][/HR]
Also, if it "popped" while adjusting, the inner reflector may have come off the adjustment pin, and be "free floating"[HR][/HR]​
How can I tell? While badly aimed, the light doesn't seem to move around at all. It's stable, just aimed too high.
Again, is there any way to adjust the whole assembly? Are the mounting tabs slotted to allow for this? I suppose I could just take it back to the shop, but then I'm stuck with another rental for a couple of days, and we all know how bad that sucks!
Thanks for the replies so far!

[Modified by bhaney, 7:50 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (Vr6en)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, I have a question then. I recently 'dropped' my car about 1.5 inches. It seems as though the headlights do not have the 'range' that they used to. should the lights be adjusted after you lower your car?[HR][/HR]​
Absolutely http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (bhaney)

If you have U.S. lights get them professionally aimed
If you have e-codes get them professionally aimed
If you lower your car, get your headlights professionally aimed (spings can change the rake of the car)
I had my e-codes aimed at the dealer when I was in for other servicing. Its cheap, and its a lot better than the old 25ft away from the garage door with tape X's

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Help on adjusting stock headlights (BoraVR6)

Dos anybody know how much it is to have the dealer aim your lights? Also, any dealer with good service reputation in Queens/Bayside area in NY? I recently just changed the headlight bulbs. It was a bit of a struggle and I think i may have thrown the light alignment off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.