VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help installing a Phatnoise that was previously in my Mk4 Jetta into a friends Mk5 2008 Rabbit (No Sat/No Premium Stereo)
We've already purchased the following part from Impex 1T0-051-592

#1) Does anyone know what to do with the loose Blue/Gray wire? We know that they loose Brown wire is a ground
#2) We've hooked up the Phatnoise to the factory Premium 7 radio but when we switch to the CD control it just reads "EXT AUX IN" and neither the Red or Green lights are illuminated on the Phatnoise Unit
#3) Once we get this all figured out does anyone know the configuration setup for coding this to a Mk5 Premium 7 Head Unit. I found this elsewhere for the RCD300 head (dont know if its the same) so if anyone else can confirm that would be great. "To set up the head unit, when it is switched on, press 6 then the right FF button till it reaches track 12 where it will say something like select head unit type H then press the right hand knob in to select."
Premium 7 Radio

Factory Blue Plug on back of Radio

New Blue Plug Adapter for CD Changer/Phatnoise

What is this loose Blue/Gray wire for on the new CD Changer/Phatnoise harness??

Thanks in advance

Modified by VacantSkies88 at 4:17 PM 2-1-2010

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (b0mb3r)

Quote, originally posted by b0mb3r »
this is not premium 7 radio
I am not sure if that's the problem...

Premium 7 is printed clear as day on the side of the head unit so I assumed that's what it was called. Part # 1K0 035 161 C
If it's not a Premium 7 then what is it?

Modified by VacantSkies88 at 4:21 PM 2-1-2010

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: (VacantSkies88)

i believe the part number for the premium 7 is 1K0 035 180... i think
i have the radio you got there, all i know is the premium 7 is the one with the cd changer, which we dont have

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Re: HELP Phatnoise install on Mk5 2008 VW Rabbit (VacantSkies88)

Quote, originally posted by VacantSkies88 »
#2) We've hooked up the Phatnoise to the factory Premium 7 radio but when we switch to the CD control it just reads "EXT AUX IN" and neither the Red or Green lights are illuminated on the Phatnoise Unit

This could be a coding issue with the radio itself. If so you'll need vagcom or a dealer scantool to fix it. IIRC, the last digit in the coding indicates whether a CD changer or aux input is hooked up at the blue connector. Yours is set up for aux input, so you need to change the coding so the radio is looking for a cd changer. For example, if he radio coding is 40401, you need to change to 40402 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Re: HELP Phatnoise install on Mk5 2008 VW Rabbit (abe1.8t)

I actually watching to see what happens because I have heard that the mk5 radios and phatboxes don't get along too well. I put a 2008 MFD2 nav unit in my car at the same time I installed my phatbox (and Volk-L), so I never got to try it with the original radio.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: HELP Phatnoise install on Mk5 2008 VW Rabbit (abe1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by abe1.8t »
wait, you can use a phatnoise in an MKV?
I have 2 sitting in my basement from my MKIV!
woot!

Welcome to 2006! http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2783033

Modified by jmj at 5:10 AM 2-3-2010

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
How do you select the phatnoise? I only see fm am cd as options. I have the same radio but it has black buttons.

How much is that cable? Any other sources other than impex? They have it for $50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.