VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hazard Switch was already replaced under warranty and then again out of my own pocket as the Switch the dealership put in was faulty (Right clicks faster than left). Anyways, the problem I have now is that after a turn and the turn signal stalk has returned to the off position, a fast clicking sound continues and will ocasionally go off over bumps. When the turn signal stalk is at left or right for turns, it operates normally (slow clicking sound) but when it returns to off, the fast clicking goes on for a few seconds longer. The lights however are not flashing when it is fast clicking.
I dont believe it is the hazard switch this time. If i just wiggle the turn signal stalk (without surpassing the off position) , I can get the fast clicking sound sometimes.
Anyone know what to look for? Some said to clean some connectors or switch... anyone know what, where and how to get at it?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (dknl)

bump it.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have the same issues replaced it twice and stealership stated that they replaced the stalk. It is intermittent and at times will not do it for me and other times I want to put my fist trough my dash. I noted that if I hold my finger, slightly depressing the hazard switch with out fully engaging it would stop..

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (quickreflex02)

Same problem here. I personally replaced the hazard switch before the recall out of my own pocket but that didn't do anything. Someone suggested once (maybe Gary, vgt6r?) that maybe the whole turn signal stalk, wiper stalk... assembly might need to be replaced. Seeing as how it was about $100 and required removing the air-bag, I never replaced that part.
I actually haven't heard the noise in a while but I probably just jinxed myself.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (samc)

Quote, originally posted by samc »
. I personally replaced the hazard switch before the recall out of my own pocket

I had my original hazard switch replaced too when it went bad. Covered under warranty BUT they replaced it with a faulty one
(would click faster when turning right than left). Didn't feel like losing another day of work....bought a switch & replaced it myself...fixed.
annoyinng as h3ll to say the least...first hazard light switch then brake light switch then this

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (dknl)

Buy some contact cleaner and spray it into the turn signal stalk opening while moving it through its positions (ign off). let it air off and try it again and see if problem disappears, retry if necessary. I have tried it a few times all with positive results in customer cars.
HTH
Richard

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (Dubsport Inc)

Quote, originally posted by Dubsport Inc »
Buy some contact cleaner and spray it into the turn signal stalk opening while moving it through its positions (ign off). let it air off and try it again and see if problem disappears, retry if necessary. I have tried it a few times all with positive results in customer cars.
HTH
Richard

worth a try..... better than going to stealership and coming home with a busted airbag along with a new replacement defective switch

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (Dubsport Inc)

Quote, originally posted by Dubsport Inc »
HTH
Richard

Just came back from spraying the stalk....seems to have done the trick. For those with same prob...give it a try

Will see how long it lasts like this.
Thinking about removing the steering to clean it out properly.
If I was to disconnect the battery before removing the airbag to get the steering wheel off.... will the airbag sensor light still light up? Don't wanna do it if it causes it to light up as vagcom may not be able to reset it.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn si ... (inneedofafastcar)

I wasn't able to buy the CRC stuff so I just got some other brand electronics contact cleaner. It's an aerosol that you can connect a straw to spray switches or contacts to clean. Make sure you get ones that are safe for plastics. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Richard,
I tried the contacts cleaner threw the turn stalk trick last night. I drove 150 miles today with no clicks Thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

well to be sure i would take the cover of the stalk off and look for some brass brushes. The older style stalks had brass brushes that neeed to be cleaned and re-aligned . Could not say if that is specific for a MK4 but i did that to my mk3 and it saved me cash along the way

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: help please..... Hazard replaced already....turn signal clicks in off position (pest)

Quote, originally posted by pest »
well to be sure i would take the cover of the stalk off and look for some brass brushes. The older style stalks had brass brushes that neeed to be cleaned and re-aligned . Could not say if that is specific for a MK4 but i did that to my mk3 and it saved me cash along the way

Correct me if i am wrong but I think you need to remove the airbag then steering wheel to get at the stalk on the MKIV. Don't feel like messing with airbag especially since vagcom may not be able to reset it if a fault code gets stored.
Its been over 2 days now and its still good after spraying it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.