VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm having tach issues due to my lovely ignition. I am wondering if someone with an ATA transmission can please post the maximum speed in each gear, and also at what RPM your redline actually is.
Ideally, if someone could run it to 6200-6500 that would be great! I know I will need to adjust for my tires (215/40/16), but this info will get me pretty close.
What I plan on doing is putting 5 small stickers on the speedo cluster, one at each max speed for each gear just above the MPH. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (URIN 2ND)

the tach is lazy. I hit 7200rpm digi-1 rev cut at 6800 on my gauge.
don't trust it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Check your mail.
By the way the sheet is for use with 195-50-15 wheels.
When using 16inch ad .06 to the last digits in the formula.
(1.6 -> 1.66)

Modified by GTI1-G60 at 5:14 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (GTI1-G60)

Quote »
the tach is lazy. I hit 7200rpm digi-1 rev cut at 6800 on my gauge.
don't trust it ...

I don't have a tach at all right now, hence my need to go off the speedo and not the tach!!!
My ignition is interrupting the tach signal right now resulting in no tach and an AMAZING 99.9 mpg on the MFA. lol! I am willing to live with it so long as I know each gear's redline according to speed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

so the mfa digital tach doesn't work? lol.
time for 5" autometer lol.
you should check out the shift light... my bro put on his ws6 and its works most excellently.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (mrkrad)

is there an easy way to hook up a shift light without getting the monster fugly tach? i just want an LED on the a-piller pod..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (itchyG60)

G60 GTi...thank you very much for the chart! However, according to my sources, the ATB gearbox is not the same as the USA ATA gearbox.
Your chart shows the following:
ATA/ATB G60 3.45 F/D 3.77 2.12 1.34 0.97 0.80

Now here's a chart for the USA ATA box:
ATA 3.684 F/D 3.778 2.105 1.345 0.971 0.795
Anyhow, I found a nifty Javascript calculator online at http://www.f-body.org/gears/
At 7000 rpm, the stock ATA gearbox is capable of 162 mph! At 6500 rpm, it's 150 mph. My tires are 215/40/16, which is what was used for my gear charts.
SAM...
I actually thought of a small stand-alone tach and/or a shift light, but I didn't want to be ricey! I may get the shift light, not sure yet. But I'm wondering...if I have no tach signal going to the gauge cluster, will I have a signal elsewhere to install an aftermarket tach or shift light? I'm really not sure if the signal is gone all together, skewed from the ignition wiring, or simply not present at that particular point in the wiring.
AT any rate, the stickers on the speedo will do for now.
In case you were curious, here's the max speed in each gear for a '90 USA G60 with 215/40/16 rubber at 6,500 rpm:
1. 32mph
2. 57mph
3. 89mph
4. 123mph
5. 150mph

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

dunno from experience, its alot easier to keep your eye on a shift light than to pay attention to the tach when going down the 1/4 mile. everything goes so fast if you try to watch the gauges you'll be too slow

The tach i believe gets its signal from the - (black) wire on the coil. It somehow converts that negative impulse to a signal. If you remove the - wire the car will die.
I tried to get the split second unit to read that signal but no go.
I could program the MIL (what we use for switch chip) to be a shift light i suppose , but i have other uses for that line..

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (itchyG60)

I had a nice hidden shift light in my 16v GTi....I put it in one of the dash vents, it was UBER bright so I had no trouble seeing it....Plus chicks dig it

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: Help: Please post maximum speed in gears! (Black_G60)

Sean, do you have an aftermarket coil? Anyway, if you have a coil with male POS and NEG connectors you can just run the line from the tach to the negative on the coil. And i think you need a pos and I know a ground for it, then run light wiring. You going to Hooter's tonight????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts