VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Help Please! Selling my Jetta. Questions on repair costs to satisfy potential buyer.

344 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  samc 
#1 ·
I need some advise guys.
I'm trying to sell my 2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic w/ 117,000 miles on it. It runs AWESOME and has been loved it's entire life.
Well, my buyer's mechanic looked over the vehicle and noticed some things wrong with it.
1) Valve cover gasket is leaking (needs to be replaced)
2) Front strut mounts need replacing (probably needs suspension job all the way around)
Well he's telling me the parts and labor would be $2000 to fix those things. Is that accurate? I need to know how much to knock of the $7000 estimated retail value to make this guy happy. He has lots of friends at mechanics around here so the likelihood of him paying for labor to replace this stuff is very low.
Let me know what you guys all think so i can get a good idea what I should let this car go for. As of right now, it's listed on eBay and Craigslist so i have other buyers lined up who are interested as well.
Thanks for the help on this...

#3 ·
Re: Help Please! Selling my Jetta. Questions on repair costs to sat ... (32bitwhore)

Quote, originally posted by 32bitwhore »
Knock off the cost of parts.
If the guy can't replace those himself or get the labor for free he shouldn't be buying it.

Agree, his mechanic friends can help him out on labor. Where is he getting his part prices from? Strut mounts and valve cover gasket don't cost 2g's

#7 ·
Re: (RobMan8023)

springs and shocks aftermarket = around $600-700. Chances are he won't go for oem stuff.
That is your valve cover, I think there used to be one sold called power gaskets? It's basically a bolt on job, do it yourself. The gasket itself does not cost alot (I'm thinking <$40). So basically it's like at high $800 for all parts, with suspension being the most expensive. And that can be installed for free if you have close friends.
Chances are this guy knows what these parts cost and is just trying to grab an extra $1k off the price. But hey it is a recession and people do need money. Hopefully this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.