VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been bringing my Golf to the local Jiffy Lube for a couple of years now. Since this is my first car, I didn't realized until recently that Jiffy Lube uses 10W40 to all cars unless you ask them otherwise. The last time I stopped by, I asked them to use 5W40. They told me that it'll cost $25 more to do that, but if I use 5W30 it'll be the same price. So I went for 5W30. Almost 5,000 miles after that oil change, my oil indicator lights up. I checked the dipstick and found NO oil on it. So, I went to Jiffy Lube again to change my oil and this time used 5W40.
My boyfriend thinks that there is something wrong with my car because his Honda doesn't burn up nearly half as much as my Volkswagen does. My warranty runs out in November, so I wanted to get an idea about this before talking to VW.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: HELP - rate of oil burn (noirjet)

Do you have a 2.0 engine? They are known to burn oil. Just try to check the level more often and top it off when needed. Just dont let it run out of oil or that will void any warranty. 5w-40 is what VW recommends. I have been using mobile 1 5w-30 since 10k on my 01 2.0 golf and it hardley burns any oil
Ps Dont go to jiffy lube In my opinion they suck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts