VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well topic says it all. I was messing around in the driveway and realized none of them work. It's scary to think of how long I've been driving around like this! Are they all on the same fuse? I didn't even think to check that until now. thanks

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Re: help! rear brake lights don't work (robgti)

all the rear brake lights are a fuse yes. I think they are coupled with other lights to but i am not sure. Check all the fuses unless you have a manual then check which fuse it is. then if that doesnt work try replacing the bulbs. if they work and do not burn out in a day or so your good. if they do you maybe have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Re: help! rear brake lights don't work (tperk)

quote:[HR][/HR]Check the brake light accuator behind the brake pedal. I had problems with mine not being seated properly.[HR][/HR]​
Yes, just what I was going to mention. Look at your pedal assembly. There is a switch that sits against the pedel, and a wire harness that connects to it. See if the switch is working and also check the harness. If the switch is coming short of the pedel, just simply pull the switch out. Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Re: help! rear brake lights don't work (robgti)

quote:[HR][/HR]i didn't fix all my problems yet. the rear defroster turns on when i use the brakes! WTF? all i did was replace a fuse.
i thought my car had escaped from the factory without any electrical gremlins.[HR][/HR]​
That could explain the blown fuse in the first place. It's possible the wiring has gotten frayed enough there's an intermittent short. Does VW have an equivalent to the BMW ETM? It's a model-year specific troubleshooting guide that attempts to contain all the info about where electrical stuff can overlap and short together and stuff. Very handy, if not always correct. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.