VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
115k miles
Current symptoms:
oil loss (went thru 1qt in a week, no visible leak)
The day after oil was low & I topped it off, EPC light came on following what seemed like weird shifts, possibly no/low boost afterwards

The EPC light clears following a vehicle restart. I visited my VW dealership and following a free inspection I was told there is no code & that they aren't sure what the issue is. They offered me a $250 detailed inspection/diagnostic but mentioned there was no guarantee any issues would be found.
Any help? Can't seem to find anyone w VCDS locally that can verify the dealer isn't feeding me bs. I JUST purchased this vehicle and am trying to stay ahead of maintenance. Thank you :)

·
Registered
2005 Jetta GLI VR6 swap, 2009 VW CC, 2014 VW Jetta (wife), 2018 Kia Stinger GT2
231 Posts
Disappearing oil....often the PCV fails and ultimately leads to this. Being a brand new owner and likely not having the necessary tools and knowledge, would be wise to seek assistance from a local European specialty shop. Pay their $120 diagnostic fee and let them get you some answers.

·
Registered
2013 vw mk6 jetta gli-Autobahn
862 Posts
first things first. You really need to do an oil consumption test. Make sure to top off the oil level. Drive the jetta for a 1000 miles. Making sure to check the oil level after each 100'ish miles and log it. Only top off oil when 1 qt low. After the 1000 miles, how many quarts of oil did you need?? If only 1qt, then that is totally acceptable by vw standards. If two or three or more, then you have an issue that needs to be addressed.

agree, it certainly could be the PCV. However, 1 qt in a week (not sure how many miles you put on the car)...is extreme. So, I would remove all coils and spark plugs. Inspect the spark plugs for any wetness from the oil. Using a borescope camera, inspect each cylinder for wetness of oil. My hunch, is that one or more of the pistons has let go...and it could very well be burning off the oil. These cars are known to crack the piston from the bottom side, not the top. Where the piston rings allow the oil to flow by.

Lastly, it could be at the turbo. The wastegate could need attention.

Good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts