VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a co-worker who came to me with a problem with their 97 2-slow Jetta auto, and i want some of your guys thoughts;
the car starts up fine from cold start and will drive for about 15 to 25 miles but then coughs and stutters and dies. sometimes it will start right back up and then drive for another 15 to 25 miles and does the same thing. other times it will start, catch and "stall out" immediately and will continue to do this until they let the car sit for a while. then it will start back up and then drive 15 to 25 miles...
i have my theories as to what is wrong, but any advise and or help would be GREATLY appreciated

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HELP; running problem. advise needed (jaso028)

Quote, originally posted by jaso028 »
Does it give you problems in the rain only or all the time??

all the time

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Re: HELP; running problem. advise needed (Das_Boost)

whats the service records like?
tune up, timing, coil, o2's?? when was this all done and ever??
could be a coolant sensor in the coolant flange, possibly..

Modified by jaso028 at 9:49 AM 9-13-2008

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HELP; running problem. advise needed (jaso028)

Quote, originally posted by jaso028 »
whats the service records like?
tune up, timing, coil, o2's?? when was this all done and ever??
could be a coolant sensor in the coolant flange, possibly..

Modified by jaso028 at 9:49 AM 9-13-2008

they bought the car for dirt cheep cause the PO didn't want to figure out the problem. so i do not know the service record. it doesn't sound like the coil, since my friends GTI with ABA 2.0 swap has that problem now, and it is not the same symptoms.
wold the coolant really trigger the car to shut off? it is not reading hot at all, the temp gauge stays right where is should the whole time.
i thought that it was the MAF, because it seems to me that when the car switches from "cold start" mode to "real time running" mode that is when it just stalls out, like there is not enough air or fuel getting to it... cause the check engine light doesn't even come on until the car actually stalls out...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Re: (sfish04)

Quote, originally posted by sfish04 »
fuel pump relay. my 2.0 did the same thing to me on the interstate a few months ago. luckily i had a piece of wire laying around in the car so i could jumper the relay to get me to vw to pickup a new one.

always forget that one..
but you can also trying lceaning the MAF and the TB... see how it goes form there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.