VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the stock side view mirror housing. I see two screws on the bottom of the mirror, I removed them however that didn't seem to do anything. Can someone help me out here?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Re: HELP: Side view mirror housing!!!! (papasuki)

The screws have nothing to do with the housing. They actually help hold the folding mechanism in place. The ousing is held on by clips. The easiest way to remove it is by removing the mirror first and unsnapping the clips.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HELP: Side view mirror housing!!!! (boybaha)

quote:[HR][/HR]The screws have nothing to do with the housing. They actually help hold the folding mechanism in place. The ousing is held on by clips. The easiest way to remove it is by removing the mirror first and unsnapping the clips. [HR][/HR]​
Ah, I see. It would be too easy if it were just a matter of removing the screws.

Going to try it again tomorrow, but now I know where to start and knowing is half the battle..

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: HELP: Side view mirror housing!!!! (boybaha)

quote:[HR][/HR]The screws have nothing to do with the housing. They actually help hold the folding mechanism in place. The ousing is held on by clips. The easiest way to remove it is by removing the mirror first and unsnapping the clips. [HR][/HR]​
Actually you don't have to remove the mirror. The way to do it is to remove the little plug in the bottom of the mirror, move the mirror so that it is flush to the cover (so that it doesn't block the cover from coming off), put the smallest philips head screw driver that you have in that unpluged hole, move it around in there till you feel it go into the metal clip that holds the cover on, carefully pry the screw driver so that the clip moves backward (push the bottom of the screw driver towards the front of the car) and then you can pop off the mirror cover.
This is how the mirror cover was designed to be removed. If you take off the mirror before you do this you can damage one of the clips.

[Modified by DGMVW, 11:03 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Re: HELP: Side view mirror housing!!!! (DGMVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]The screws have nothing to do with the housing. They actually help hold the folding mechanism in place. The ousing is held on by clips. The easiest way to remove it is by removing the mirror first and unsnapping the clips.
Actually you don't have to remove the mirror. The way to do it is to remove the little plug in the bottom of the mirror, move the mirror so that it is flush to the cover (so that it doesn't block the cover from coming off), put the smallest philips head screw driver that you have in that unpluged hole, move it around in there till you feel it go into the metal clip that holds the cover on, carefully pry the screw driver so that the clip moves backward (push the bottom of the screw driver towards the front of the car) and then you can pop off the mirror cover.
This is how the mirror cover was designed to be removed. If you take off the mirror before you do this you can damage one of the clips.

[Modified by DGMVW, 11:03 PM 4-10-2002][HR][/HR]​
will this take out the entire rear view mirror housing, even the black part that is against the window, or just the mirror? i need to do this too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts