VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Super ko4.
Neuspeed removed my APR chip daughter board to install their programming
Neuspeed then sent my APR daughter board (with the APR software on it) back to me with my ecu.

So now I want to have my APR daughter board and programming installed on another ecu.
I contacted APR to see if the could solder this daughter board into my other ecu for me.
They said they don't support this activity and would charge me $300 to solder it in.
I can understand there position.
So I want to do this any way.
Any suggestions on how to solder this in?? Would a good electronics shop be able to do this?
Is this a difficult job for a novice???
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (slugII)

i woudln't suggest any computer place... because i know a customer of mine.. i won't say his name.... he brought his ECU to a guy who chips PS2 chips........ that guy . uhhhhh lets say burnt his whole ECU without knowing........ he had to buy a new one..... i'd stick to the same manufacture or someone who does chipping for cars

·
Registered
727 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (828turbos)

Go to an electronics replair place -=- some one with a good reputation -=-
make sure that they have a high quality de-soldering station capable of Tfpq or plcc sytle smt (surface mount) chip removal -=- this is all that is needed
-=- the hardest part of the install is the remove of the chip -=- once poper removal is done the solder install is simple-==
where are you located , I may be able to help you out !!!
PM me w

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (richyrich212t)

If you are asking this question, then you are NOT capable of doing it yourself. From what I have heard it is a major PITA. If you know what you are doing and have the proper tools, then it shouldn't be too hard, but if not, let someone who knows what they are doing, do it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (Mile High Assassin)

Quote, originally posted by Mile High Assassin »
If you are asking this question, then you are NOT capable of doing it yourself. From what I have heard it is a major PITA. If you know what you are doing and have the proper tools, then it shouldn't be too hard, but if not, let someone who knows what they are doing, do it.

No duh.
I live in the U.P of MI. Don't suppose any of you helpers are near.
I'll check my local electronics repair dudes and see what they're capable of.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (slugII)

Did neuspeed charge extra to remove APR chip and put in theirs? And did you have to give them the old stock chip for reflash, or do they just use their own chip?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (A2gtirulz)

Quote, originally posted by A2gtirulz »
Did neuspeed charge extra to remove APR chip and put in theirs? And did you have to give them the old stock chip for reflash, or do they just use their own chip?
Thanks

Neuspeed was great to deal with. They charged nothing to remove the APR chip. They installed their own for the Super KO4. Then sent the APR chip back to me neatly packaged with the ECU.
I have a guy in line locally that has the same engine code and trans as I do and I was going to give him this chip and software for a small fee if we could get it solderd in reasonably and reliably.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (Sim)

Quote, originally posted by Sim »
It is, though not for intermediate.

i feel pretty confident soldering and working with pc boards. however i would not feel confident doing this in the least. u really have to make sure every contact delivers the proper current through the solder. sometimes this is tougher then it may seem.
however my biggest concern would be breaking off one of the delicate prongs on the chip itself. i mean this isnt a $2 part u can run over to an electronics store to replace if u **** up.
if u really wanna do it yourself. get some pc boards and chips to practice on (u can get kits for little dewhickeys that will require chips to have proper voltage.). try soldering the chips to them. then desoldering and resoldering. while checking voltage at each step, at each connection. ull probably end up looking like this
or doing this
at one point or another.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (severe)

I think it is not *that* complicated as you write, but it's not for beginners for sure. If you happen to do your own soldering, be sure to use an ESD safe iron, otherwise you'll fry the ECU. Also the checksum of both chips (before and after) have to match, otherwise car won't start. The "dealer" of my performance chip has set the checksum in my ECU to an other value from stock for example, so putting my software into another (but same part #) ECU would not work. :|

Modified by Sim at 7:55 PM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (Sim)

Try some other chip tuning shops and see how much it would cost. Your Local APR shop, UPsolute, GIAC... try them all, see if they can help you out.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: Help soldering chip back in. (AVANT)

Quote, originally posted by AVANT »
Try some other chip tuning shops and see how much it would cost. Your Local APR shop, UPsolute, GIAC... try them all, see if they can help you out.

I think that's a long shot. I'd bet that APR wouldn't be happy with one of their dealers doing that, and the others would have a vested interest in refusing too - they'd stand a better chance of selling their chip. I suppose that he might get lucky, especially if he already knows someone.
A reputable electronics repair place should be able to do this without any problems whatsoever and wouldn't have any reason not to take his money.
In terms of difficulty, consider that most of the dealers' installers are wrench jockeys first, not electronics technicians, ie it's possible for most people to learn how to do well. That being said, it certainly is not suitable as a 'DIY learn to solder' course. But for someone with _good_ hobbyist soldering skills (and an ESD safe iron) it is doable. The hardest part is removing the stock chip without damaging it or the ECU. If you're willing to trash the stock chip (and I'd recommend that you do unless you have a hot air rework station), then you simply cut it away from its leads and desolder the leads one by one.
DISCLAIMER - I accept no responbsibility for action taken based upon this post. If anyone screws up an ECU it's their problem, not mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts