VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 VW GTI VR6
Crutchfield: 6 3/4" Dia. [door and rear] no sizes for dash tweeters and rear tweeters
Best Buy: 6 1/2: Dia. [door and rear] no sizes for dash tweeters and rear tweeters
Bentley Manual: 6.6" Dia [door and rear] 3.9" Dia. [dash tweeters] and no size for rear tweeters
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: Help! Speaker size conflicting info! (NWILGTi)

The fronts are 6.75", otherwise known as 6.5 oversize. But if you want to use the stock grille then you have to make sure that the chosen speaker does not have a vertical "lip" on the outer edge of the basket. These "lips" are sometimes used to attach the aftermarket grille by having the grille slide over the outside of it. But aftermarket grilles really do not fit well in the MKIII's. At least they didn't in my '97 GTI. You can get around the "lip" issue by grinding it down with a dremel. Sounds gruesome but is not really that big of a deal. The alternative is to buy a 6.75 without the lip. But that really cuts your selection of speakers down. For dash tweeters I would recommend buying a factory set from a salvage yard and then modifying them to accept a silk dome tweeter. That way the assembly will clip right in. As far as the back, I would just leave them stock. They are fine for rear fill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts