VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions or is there a trick to removing the speedo cable on a 5sp in an 83 Rocco? Clutch is having major problems, hence pulling the tranny. Also, I have a tranny from a 16v sitting on the floor. Should I swap this one back in? I've heard it's a close ratio unit. If it is, what should the casting code be on the side to identify it as such. Although, it might be a safe bet to say it is since it's still connected to a complete 16v engine. (Swap later contemplated.) Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Re: Help!! Speedo cable problem (housing stuck in tranny) X post (Dave951)

Wiggle it a lot. If the gear is stuck and you pull too hard, the cable will come out, but the speedo gear will be left in the tranny. The gear is held to the end of the cable with a small spring clip (circlip). You might try turning the flanges on the tranny to help, too.
the 16v close ratio trannies are AGBs or 2Ys. It will be stamped on the bottom flange.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Re: Help!! Speedo cable problem (housing stuck in tranny) X post (Dave951)

my speedo cable was caught in my tranny also...i couldnt get it out..so i just delt with it and when i had a clutch done it was removed easily. now its fine

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Re: Help!! Speedo cable problem (gmrocco16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]i was also told the tranny can easily chew up the plastic gear without any damage..[HR][/HR]​
I wouldn't risk it. If it does come off, it floats on top of the oil. You can reach in and fish it out with some sort of a wire or claw tool. If you can't see it, you can start the car and let it idle in neutral. There will be enough oil movement to cause the gear to appear in the hole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Help!! Speedo cable problem (VWhombre)

OK- success finally with PB Blast and a bit of prying. The cable housing stuck because of corrosion between the flange and the tranny case. The problem that precipitated the tranny removal was the lack of clutch pedal. Throwout bearing is ok, circular "retaining" wire got loose inside and did the damage. It will need a clutch kit for sure. Still the question I would like to resolve is whether or not to install the 16v tranny. Are the clutch components the same and-- the old tranny had the electrical connection for the upshift light. What to do about that. Also, will it change my speedo calibration? I'm still thinking of installing the 16v engine later, just maybe the tranny will beat it to the draw. As for the 16v swap, I have the entire engine, tranny, fuel injection, wiring harness, shifter assembly, most of the interior, rear hatch, and the entire rear disc brake assembly including lines. Basically, I got two cars, but only the A1 8v body. Opinions?
Thanks for the input on the speedo cable.
Dave

[Modified by Dave951, 2:06 AM 4-8-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts