VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheel position will not stay centered after I return to straight from a turn. The position of the wheel will be off center 1-2 inches to the direction I just turned when returned to going straight.

I have tightened the nut/washer holding the wheel the the column. It is possibly I need to tighten this even more with help, but is that the only place I should be trying to figure out this issue? Is this a steering bearing issue? I have not checked it to see if the bearing has slid down the shaft.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
771 Posts
The steering wheel is splined onto the shaft. It is not going to slip that way. Typically what you are experiencing is caused by the steering rack under the car being loose -- the bolts holding the rack to the car have loosened and are letting the rack slide sideways.

·
Registered
771 Posts
In your driveway you'll need a jack and jackstands. (Never ever go under a car only held up with a jack. Always sit it on stands.) I could only find one picture in the Bentley manual to show what you are looking for. In the 7.3 Power-Assisted Steering section, look for mounting clamp and mounting bushing in figure 7-16. I have not seen under my car in years, but from Removing and Installing Steering Gearbox the clamp is only on the right side. On the left side you're going to have to look at it to figure out how the rack bolts to the car.

Maybe someone else can offer tips.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
In your driveway you'll need a jack and jackstands. (Never ever go under a car only held up with a jack. Always sit it on stands.) I could only find one picture in the Bentley manual to show what you are looking for. In the 7.3 Power-Assisted Steering section, look for mounting clamp and mounting bushing in figure 7-16. I have not seen under my car in years, but from Removing and Installing Steering Gearbox the clamp is only on the right side. On the left side you're going to have to look at it to figure out how the rack bolts to the car.

Maybe someone else can offer tips.
The rack is held in place at the ends with a split bushing and clamp on manual racks. They can be remove/replace with the rack in car. Ps one bushing and clamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts