VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '87 Jetta and was gonna do a complete brake job on the rear drum brakes, and one of the mounting bolts for the brake cylinder is completey stripped. It looks like whoever removed this last also hade some issues, as the nut is pretty ragged and tore up. I tried to get a vise grip on there, but due to the cramped area behind the drum, it just will not grab the bolt.
Any one run into to this little problem before? Any help is GREATLY appreciated at this point!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Re: Help! stripped nut on rear brake cylinder (tperk)

You might try some of the different nut/bolt extractors on the market. Some are just for bolts which won't help you much but I know I was in Sears the other day and they had a set of nut/bolt extractors that you took a hammer and hammered this tool on top of the stripped nut and then turned it with a wrench. It looked pretty cool and nice to have but the set was $32 and I passed at the time. You might check this out. I don't know what kind of clearence you have to deal with but if it is tight this might not work since you need room to swing a hammer. Also have you tried to heat the nut? Heat the nut and it will expand and might loosen up a litttle on the stud. Also get some PB Blaster and soak the nut for a few days before trying this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help! stripped nut on rear brake cylinder (Caleb)

Yeah, I just soaked it real good with some stuff, and I'll get back at it tomorrow after work. I didn't try any heat today cuz I ran out of propane, but we'll see what happens. Thanx Caleb.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Get a small chisel and put a cut in the top side then angle the chisel down and knock it to undo it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help! stripped nut on rear brake cylinder (Vdubs)

Yeah, I also tried something like that. I tried using a screwdriver to put the notch in, but it didn't work, and I didn't wanna mess the bolt up worse that it already is. I'll grab a small chisel at work tomorrow. thanx

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Help! stripped nut on rear brake cylinder (VW Speed Racer)

MIG weld another nut on top of that one

actually, why not drill out the bad bolt with a reverse bit?
I have rear disks so I can't figure out where you're talking about.

[Modified by negativl, 10:52 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
10 Posts

use a chisel and hammer to break off a corner of the brake (wheel) cyl being carefull not to hit the bolt. Once you have done this you can nearly turn the bolt out with your fingers. notch the bolt head so you can turn it in with slotted head screwdriver and use plenty of locktight

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: Help! stripped nut on rear brake cylinder (andymorse)

See if you can't sneak a dremel in there and cut a slot in the head of the bolt so you can fit a flat head screw driver in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts