VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm buying a Jetta this weekend (89 coupe) and its had an engine swap done to it.
The engine was donated from a 92 Passat...Its a 16valve 2.0, and running off of mototronic injection...Apparently this engine running moto is a bastardisation of some sort...Can you guys just tell me anything you can about this?
I'm asking because I have to convince my insurance company that its not a "souped up" engine or they won't insure it. I plan to just have the mechanic that does the safety check jot a note down on the form before I fax it to my insurance company.
Any comments?
Thanks
-Scott

· Registered
857 Posts
Re: Help: Tell me about this engine (VWNewb)

I will try and help you as much as I can.
As far as the engine goes, I believe the coupes never came with that engine, but the 4 door jetta (GLI) of that year can with a 1.8 16v engine that ran on CIS-E.
Then the later jetta GLI's (90-92) can with a 2.0 16v that ran on CIS-MOTRONIC which should be the same thing as the engine out of the passat had.
As far as being a "Souped up" engine, I would have to say no as it is a factory engine.
But, it is deffinatly an up grade for your car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.