VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i intalled the upper tensioner on the engine after having all the guides and that stuff installed, and engine all timed, but when i install the upper tensioner it seems as there is slack in the chain? am i missing something ? do i have the right tensioner?

i heard something about filling it with oil and getting air out of it? what does that mean...??

·
Registered
865 Posts
i heard something about filling it with oil and getting air out of it? what does that mean...??
grab both ends of the tensoner and submerge it in oil. squeeze the plunger a few times. you should get a few small bubbles out of it. then install it and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just looks like it's collapsed to me, as stated you've got to bleed with oil.

Not really but if it's a rebuild and you are using straight weight, use that, if not a lower end rebuild then just use whatever oil you use.

Surprised you got this far without a bently. Nice :thumbup:

"The cams cam be moved slightly within natural chain slack in order to fit the cam tool in" "This is fine." -Mr Bently

Being off a tooth anywhere in the links the tool will not line up, no matter how much cam wiggle you have in slack. You've got it or you don't.

Only spin the motor clockwise when looking at crank pulley.

·
Registered
37,724 Posts
Is that your new tensioner, if so that is the old style one and can only be used with the metal upper guide. That type also needs to be bled.

The newer style (flat faced) wont need to be bled and the upper guide will last much longer. I would get the upgraded parts now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.