VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 golf don't need ac it has four window that roll down. I am also sick of replacing belts due to the poor design of the pully system....If any one out their has done this please a little help I found a doner car in the junk yard a 91 golf w/out ac and also has pwr steering my car also has"power sterring" and that is another problem on it's own can any one give me a suggetion....or solution to this delema
drink

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: Help w/removing AC w/pwr steer (MK2REDBOX)

Sounds like you are well on your way. If you have a donor car then take some pictures before your tear into it and re-create it on your car. Most of the rest of us had to cobble ours together and figure it out through trial and error.
On a side note: I had AC on mine for 50,000 miles without any belt trouble. I wonder if that isn't another problem altogether.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help w/removing AC w/pwr steer (MDVDuber)

I have replaced all the belts a few times also the whole intire bracket that holds the altanator and compressor in place this was not easy ...."little car care made it easy" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Also I have 125,000 more miles on the box I also drive it like its stolen every day...may be I should be nicer and drive slow......

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

I changed all belts on my 92 cabriolet when I bought it. I've read of people saying about these kind of problems. After 5 months of everyday driving like the car was stolen, the belts look like new and I don't hear even the smallest squeek. I haven't use my A/C yet but I run a big 90 amp alternator and power steering with 16s

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Re: Help w/removing AC w/pwr steer (Black_cabbie)

From the donor you will need:
1. The inner crank pulley.
2. The straight alternator bracket tensioner (the one with teeth)
3. The aluminum bracket over the water pump that connects to the power/steering.
4. Hardware for the above.
Note, Keep your outer water pump pulley, but turn it around when you assemble it. You are set.

·
Registered
251 Posts
where the a/c sat that's were the alt will be sitting. I chopped the top part where the alt used to sit in. Also you need a longer belt going to the alt.
super easy to do. To have it cut just take it to a machine shop. I was charged a 12pk of hieniken for the 2 sec. it took to cut it.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I removed both the AC and the power steering pump and just use one belt to turn the water pump and the alt. I removed the bracket that held the ac compressor and the alt and put the alt where the bracket came off. i used a spacer on the alt shaft to line the pullies up.this might not be the best way to do it but i haven't had any problems yet.I probably took off 50 pounds with removing brackets, the compressor,the pw/steering pump,and all the other ac junk.And with the engine not having to turn all that extra stuff I think I freed up a few extra HP.And with a 1.8 8v every hp counts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Help w/removing AC w/pwr steer (92GTI8vAndrew)

man, when I took the a/c out of my car ('91 w/ power steering), I was kind of sweating it because everybody said "you have to get a non a/c alternator bracket, alt. pulley, adjustment bracket, et cetera, et cetera....". I was wondering if it was really worth it as opposed to just unhooking the compressor and taking out the rest of that crap, but by that time I had already taken everything out. Anyway, after much worry, I found that replacing the alt. pulley with one from an A1 without a/c (the threads on the alt. shaft weren't long enough to be able to use spacers) and getting a new belt to go around the alternator, water pump, and crank pulleys was all I needed to do. I used the same belts and pulleys for the p/s with no modification. Works great and you need only 2 parts to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts