VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! WELDED NUT ON REAR BUMPER SHOCK STRUT BROKE LOOSE (I THINK)

Like title says, I think the forward nut (welded onto the bumper shock strut) broke loose; the bolt on the inside of the trunk area is just spinning. Tried the Sawz-All trick, IN in hopes of cutting the bolt off by going in the shock strut opening, but there's not enough clearance (bolts still too tight) and am breaking blades after they get wedged in.
Anyone else have this happen and figure out a tricky way to solve the problem?
Jim

Modified by JKohan at 1:01 AM 7-19-2003

Modified by JKohan at 2:09 PM 7-19-2003

· Registered
14,225 Posts
Re: HELP! WELDED NUT ON REAR SHOCK STRUT BROKE LOOSE (JKohan)

Jim, the rear shock rod that extends into the rear shock tower is a threaded rod. Normally there are two locking nuts at the top of the rod, and these locking nuts are accessible from inside the car.
At the top of the shock rod, you should find two "flats" on the rod. These flats are used to hold the rod stationary while loosening the locking nuts. A large locking-type plier can be used to keep the rod from rotating.
From all of the Rabbits that I have worked on, I don't know of any welded nut in the rear shock tower. You just need to hold the shock rod stationary while loosening the locking nuts on the rod. Good luck, WWR.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wacky,
Thanks for the reply, I goofed in my original post, and meant to say rear BUMPER shock strut (have since corrected the omission)! When removing the bumper struts from inside the luggage area, the front bolt on the passenger side just spins, and my best guess is that the nut welded onto the shock strut broke loose. My bad.
Jim

Modified by JKohan at 2:10 PM 7-19-2003

· Registered
14,225 Posts
Re: (JKohan)

Jim, you are probably correct about the broken nut on the bumper strut. Only advise is to use a die-grinder with a carbide cutter or an electric side grinder to remove the head of the bolt. Once the head of the bolt is removed, hopefully you can turn the strut to remove it from the car. Guessing you already have the bumper off the car. Regards, WWR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.