VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took car in for 30K service. I've used synthetic up to this point since I bought the car new 2 yrs ago. I think dealer just put in regular oil on Friday. Should I get oil change ASAP. They should pay for it I think, but then I have to drive an hour to get there. This sucks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (wolf1point8)

its not a big deal. Just put you regular oil in next time around.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (wolf1point8)

It'll crack your block!

Edited to add "Big Grin" to denote sarcasm. Sorry if I scared ya.

Modified by keycom at 9:22 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (keycom)

Quote, originally posted by kevdakaotic »
its not a big deal. Just put you regular oil in next time around

Quote, originally posted by keycom »
It'll crack your block!

Alright, cmon guys. now we've got two reports. one at the opposite spectrum of the other.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Don't listen to Keycom, you'll be fine. Heck, you have a new filter. If you are worried about it, just jack it up, let the oil out, replace plug, and refill with your regular oil.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (VDUBNDizzy)

you'll be fine.
it's not the end of the world, and definitely won't damage your engine in any way (unless you drive it incredibly hard and/or don't let your engine warm up before stomping on it or cool off after a hard drive). Just put synthetic back in either at your next oil change, or sooner if you get the chance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (flanders)

i'm not trying to freak out, it's just that i've read that you aren't supposed to go back to regular oil or bad things will happen to your engine. i'll just take it somewhere and have them drain and fill the oil and leave the filter.
does the filter empty when the car is shut off?

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

No it doesn't. And the warning of switching being bad is for older motors that have used synthetic for a long time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (VDUBNDizzy)

alright, thanks for the help guys. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
550 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
No it doesn't. And the warning of switching being bad is for older motors that have used synthetic for a long time.

I'm still trying to figure this one out
any data to back this up?

·
Registered
550 Posts

does the filter empty when the car is shut off?

NO

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (kewl20v)

i thought you weren't supposed to switch back from synthetic because the synthetic soaks into the metal of your engine and after that regular oil will no longer stick to your engines parts.
if it was my car i would switch back ASAP and be mnore careful next time.

·
Registered
769 Posts

It increases the chance of detonation by 78%...

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (1point8Dude)

watch your block crack and your dealer will blame it on you

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (Ultimate1.8Turbo)

Quote, originally posted by Ultimate1.8Turbo »
i thought you weren't supposed to switch back from synthetic because the synthetic soaks into the metal of your engine and after that regular oil will no longer stick to your engines parts.
if it was my car i would switch back ASAP and be mnore careful next time.

please oh please do some research on synthetic vs. dino oil before making a comment like that...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Re: HELP -- What happens if dealer puts in regular engine oil when you've b ... (flanders)

youll be fine. lots of people on this site are paranoid about every little thing. but if i put in non synthetic, platinum plugs, didnt torque my lugs, washed my car in the sun, dumped my clutch 4 times and then didnt cool down before shutting off engine... my car would be ok. cars are made to put up with a certain amount of stupidity. how do you think dealers stay in business after the stupid things they do to customers cars???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts