VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this car a couple days ago for 50 bucks, it's an '84, which has cis.

but the wiring was all messed up. the fuel pump was "bypassed" by running a line hotwired into the ignition under the car and then into the fuel pump, the fan was bypassed the same way, and the starter and alternator wiring was missing.
looking at the diagrams, i'm pretty sure i can find the starter wire from the ignition, but moreso i have a problem with the alternator. it seems like it's a mk2 alternator maybe? it's just got 3 spade terminal outputs.
is this the original alternator, what's it out of if not?
and where does the harness for the alternator come out the firewall/route in the engine compartment?
thanks a lot in advance, pics would help.
if i don't get enough responses here, i'll probably cross reference this in the mk1 forum, but want to keep the cabby forum alive first.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Re: help wiring starter and alternator (bagpipegoatee)

That sounds lie a Motorola alternator which was supplied on American rabbits. It had two 3/8" quick disconnects and one 1/4" quick disconnect. The 1/4" goes to a (usually) blue wire that runs to the dashboard. It is the source of excitation voltage for the alternaotr and also the alternator idiot light.
The two 3/8" connectors run directly to the battery positive terminal. There should also be a ground strap or wire from the alternator to the engine block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.