VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am new to all this cabby love but i'm feeling it, i have an 87 karmhan cab, crimson red. and i have a few questions for anyone interested.
first off the whole left side of my cluster don't work, tach and tripometer and the mile counter thing. i checked under the hood and the gear that connects the trans. to the cluster was busted so i replaced it but it still not working, everything else on the cluster works. any ideas?
second, why do so many people like the dual headlight setup better, i believe that the 4-light one looks alot nicer. mine has 2 but i have just gotten a 4 light setup from a 79 scirroco, it doesn't fit exactly but i'm going to mold it and make it fit (using both grilles i'll finger out a way to stick two more lights in there) so anyone got any ideas on how to do this conversion? i was thinking of extending the plate that the lights are attached to to hold one more light on each side and then with a dremel tool cut out the new holes for the lights. am i crazy?
uhmm also, anyone know if it's possible to take the window off the top and put it back on, my top has a 3 inch tear on each side of the top of the window and i want to take the window out, patch it and stick it back in (no money to change the top right now)

last but not least. any recomendations on what to change on my car first? i've heard that cheap start up mods could be switching the drumbreaks to disc ( which ones fit? only 16v scirroco?), strut bars in front?, anything else??

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Help with 87 cabbie (UbberRabbit)

Well it depends on whats your looking for (as far as mods go). I also have an 87. this is just alittle of what i did (so far)
Engine: I rebuilt the enging, put in a G-Grind Cam, changed my exhaust manifold to the 4-2 then put the 2-1 down pipe on with a flex on the end. Guted the Cat (shhhh), I put in a K/N Filter, Drilled 2" hole in the air box. Took of the cold air and hot air intake to the box, (both sides have the 2" hole. Now if you REALLY want to get crazy, you cane to a 16v swap.
Come spring time Im putting in a 2L 16v in my babe
then i scored some euro bumpers and a complete set of disk breaks (all 4) from an A2 Jetta, ( with some mod they'll fit) Also Scored the 15" BBS rims.
Now as for the 4 Head light set up. I think It looks bad ass, with the wide tires on it. If you thought the cabby looked girlish, wait till you get those few things put on.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

Quote, originally posted by UbberRabbit »
ok so i am new to all this cabby love but i'm feeling it, i have an 87 karmhan cab, crimson red.

Welcome to Cabby ownership. You will now be broke, have no free time, and have a soggy butt. Ahhhh gotta love those Cabbies,-why else would anyone in their right mind go through all this?

second, why do so many people like the dual headlight setup better, i believe that the 4-light one looks alot nicer.

There are a lot of two light setups converting to the four-lights, and visa versa. Grass is greener syndrome? Maybe just because they can do it, and it's something different, I dont know. It's all personal preference. The two-lights are definately old-skool, and a lot of people like that. I have the four rounds, and like the way it looks, but I do admire the old-rabbit look too.

uhmm also, anyone know if it's possible to take the window off the top and put it back on, my top has a 3 inch tear on each side of the top of the window and i want to take the window out, patch it and stick it back in (no money to change the top right now)

Ahhh we had this problem with my Cabby when stripping it out. I was always told it was easy, but having never tried it before, the hubby was nervous about breaking the glass. Here is a tip posted recently from my forum that might help you:
"Place the palm of you hand, with as much surface area of your hand contacting the glass as possible, on the rear window at the upper corner. PUSH. The glass will slowly start to come out of the seal and will come right out after you release the initial hold of the seal."
Good luck with everything, and definately post new pics once you have completed your mods!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Help with 87 cabbie (kuklaki)

make sure you get someone to help when you pop out the window....you don't want to drop it.
Jeff

·
Registered
567 Posts

cheaper mods... would be ..
-sway bars front and rear.. autotech makes nice hollow bars.. shine makes a nice rear bar.
-front upper and lower stress bars
-dual outlet exhaust manifold. with downpipe
i have H&R sport springs...with boge turbo gas shocks/struts.. .relatively cheap and nice

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

welcome to the cabby forum...had to post and say hi, because your car is the same year and color as mine...(well, for now same color, until she comes home from the body shop...!!!)
i wish i had the answer for you involving your cluster, but i'm sure soon someone with greater knowledge than i will post...it would probably be a good idea to purchase a bentley manual for your car...i have always found the answers i needed regarding my car there...
happy driving

·
Registered
7,018 Posts

congrats on the cabby

as for your cluster it could be the cluster itself. my odometer and trip mileage dont work because of some busted gears. you might take a look at the cluster itself and look for broken parts. it could be something as simple as the tach cable has come loose from the cluster.
as for the headlights. im switching to single rounds from quad rounds. why? 2 words: old. skool. i like the cleaner more simple rabbits so thats what im building. as for using the rocco lights id dasy you can make it fit but you will find it much easier to use the later model cabby lights which fit in with no mods.
as for what to do first, that up to you and really depends on what you want out of the car. suspension is always a good place to start and will reward you with better handling which you can feel immediately. i started with euro bumps and an engine swap though so what do i know...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx to everyone for the comments, i bought a new grill with 4 headlights (about an inch smaller than mine) at a pick your part place but it does not fit my car (it's from a 79 scirroco) so i'm making my own grill and i'm putting in the other lights myself. it shall be an interesting feat as i am using parts of both the grills i have now, hope i don't screw up because i don't want to have to buy a third grill and blah blah blah....... i'll get pix posted as soon as i start the project.
also, i picked up a RABBIT badge at the auto place and i will be painting it and putting it on my car soon, what's better? to glue it on, drill holes on the trunk or get some strong MOFO magnets. thanx

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: (UbberRabbit)

sell your scirocco grill and get you a quad light setup from an 88-93 cabby it fits directly, gives you the halogen h's and I'm with you ther, ?I prefer the 4 light setup on a cabby, I like the single rounds on old rabbits.
you probably have a couple of brocken electronic circuit stripes on the cluster flexible circuitry that will explain a few items not working there, but look at the easy options first which in this case would be the electrical connector at the cluster, pull it out (yours is at the bottom right of the cluster) and look at the connectors.lean them and try re-connecting
on the top, once it starts ripping the material is too dry and old to be patched, it will start cracking somewhere else.
replacing the top will cost you about 200 - 250 if you do the labor yourself and believe me is one of the best investments you can do to a cabriolet

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Re: (UbberRabbit)

when you take off the cabriolet badge there will be holes already. you can seal them with someting and then place your rabbit badge over them or if it has the prongs in the right places clip it into the holes and use 3M emblem tape to ensure it stays put. i put a rabbit badge on my cabby too and the holes/prongs didnt line up so i picked one of the prongs and cut the other off then used the 3M tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts